Seven-year-old girl who died in York named as Katie Rough

A seven-year-old girl who died after being found with life-threatening injuries on a playing field in York has been named.

Katie Rough was discovered down a track after police were called to an address in nearby Alness Drive, Woodthorpe at around 4.30pm on Monday.

She was taken to York District Hospital but died a short time later.

A 15-year-old girl was arrested and has been questioned by detectives.

A card left at the scene and signed by "nana and grandad" read: "Night, night my darling princess Katie."

DCI Dave Ellis, of North Yorkshire Police, said the 15-year-old girl remained in police custody and officers were carrying out house-to-house inquiries.

It is understood that the girls did not live on the street where Katie was found.

Specially trained police officers are supporting the victim's relatives "at this difficult time," DCI Ellis said.

Officers added: "Katie's family are devastated by this tragic event and have asked for their privacy to be respected at this extremely distressing time."

Police are appealing for witnesses who were in the area of Morrell Court, Belhouse Way, Osprey Close and Alness Drive between 3pm-5pm on Monday, and may have seen a seven-year-old girl and a 15-year-old girl, to get in touch.

A resident who lives near the scene said Katie's mother arrived in the street by car on Monday afternoon.

She described how she saw the woman on her knees crying in the road.

She added: "I arrived in my car behind the mother. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, it wasn't until I spoke to the police that I found out.

"The mother was on her knees in the middle of the road, crying and saying things. It was quite distressing."

The woman, who did not want to be named, said the family did not live in the street of six red-brick detached houses.

She said: "We've all been here a long time, there's no children in this street."

Another neighbour, Rob McCartney, said: "I came to the door to see what was happening there.

"The mother came running up the street shouting for help and saying 'get an ambulance'.

"I put my shoes on, went up the side of the house. I could see a young girl lying in the field, police were already attending to her."

Mr McCartney added: "(The mother) was back and forth, obviously very, very distraught and who I think was the father turned up.

"I spoke to her later, asked if she was OK and she said 'no, no, she's my little girl'.

"They were obviously very distraught. Didn't want to talk to people, the two of them took themselves off, were consoling each other. I didn't recognise them."

Woodthorpe councillor Ashley Mason said: "It's just a typical type of suburban area. It's just a really nice place to live.

"It's an absolute shock that this has happened on our doorstep."