Heartbreaking: Mother and son separated for 33 years, reunited for 3 days

Sharifah Mahsinah Abdullah

PASIR PUTEH: Separated from his mother for 33 years, a former taxi driver finally reunited with her at Kampung Mengketil, Machang on Aug 14.

However, their reunion only lasted for a short time as she passed away three days later.

Tuan Kamaruzaman Tuan Meli, 43, met his mother Massimah Musa, 61, after his wife's friend showed him a Facebook posting about a woman asking for help from the public to locate her son.

The reunion between the mother and the son was a joyous occasion but shrouded in sadness as the late Massimah was in critical condition after suffering from an infection in her blood.

However, Tuan Kamaruzaman managed to take care of his mother, albeit only for three days.

"I could not describe how happy I was when l finally met my mother after various efforts had been made to locate her for 33 years, including by publishing her picture in several newspapers five years ago.

"Since I brought her to my home in Kampung Sungai Gali on Aug 14, I was always by her side and took care of her the whole time.

"For me, as a son who has been separated from my mother and really missed her love, this is the time that l have been waiting for to fullfill my responsibilities as a son to her," he said when met at his mother's grave, here, today.

The eldest of four who lost his right leg due to diabetes in 2013, said although the reunion with his mother was short, he was grateful that his dream to meet her was realised.

Tuan Kamaruzaman Tuan Meli (right) and family members recite prayers at the resting place of Massimah Musa in Kampung Sungai Gali. Pic by ZAMAN HURI ISA

"After we separated when I was 10, I have missed her every second but I could not find her.

"When my parents divorced, my father brought my three siblings and I to Pasir Puteh," he said.

Tuan Kamaruzaman said he began searching for his mother in Kelantan when he turned 18, but his efforts bore no fruit until 12 days ago.

Talking about his three-day experience, Tuan Kamaruzaman said his mother would always call out his name and wanted him to be by her side, until she passed away at the Tengku Anis Hospital, here, at 3.33am on Aug 17.

Massimah was laid to rest at the Changgai Muslim cemetery, here. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd