A nurse at Queen Elizabeth Hospital also tested preliminary positive for the coronavirus on Thursday morning, but health authorities said there was no evidence suggesting he contracted the virus on the job.
The sole locally infected case, which was not traceable, involved a female traveller from Thailand who had been in Hong Kong since mid-March.
Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.
Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable disease branch of the Centre for Health Protection, said the woman had stayed in at least three different hotels before testing positive for the virus, including a guest house in Tsim Sha Tsui and two different locations in Kwun Tong.
“We are still tracing her close contacts, including one or two friends [here] and two more who stayed with her in Hong Kong but have returned to Thailand already,” Chuang said, adding that Thai health authorities would be contacted for follow-up.
The latest additions bring the city’s tally of confirmed cases to 5,097, with 105 related deaths.
The nine imported infections included five people back from Britain, three of whom were on the same Cathay Pacific flight on Tuesday. The other two flew back via a Turkish Airlines flight.
Also arriving were two domestic helpers from the Philippines, and one person each from France and Dubai.
Dr Linda Yu Wai-ling, a chief manager at the Hospital Authority, said the nurse who tested positive at Queen Elizabeth had not had contact with any Covid-19 patients in the past two weeks, and no patients in his ward – where he handled unspecified clinical duties – were considered close contacts.
But six staff members who ate meals with him would need to be quarantined for 14 days.
Chuang added that all 61 residents and some of the 70 staff at the Yuen Long Home for the Elderly, where a 71-year-old female resident was Wednesday’s sole locally transmitted case, had tested negative for the virus.
They had earlier been evacuated from the care home as a precaution after the infection was confirmed.
Health officials also reminded the public not to let their guard down while celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival, an occasion for family reunions.
On Wednesday night, the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department inspected 17 catering business premises, including bars, in Central’s Lan Kwai Fong entertainment district.
Authorities initiated prosecution proceedings against the operators of seven of the businesses, mainly for violating the required 1.5-metre distance between tables, and the mandatory wearing of masks except when eating or drinking.
Operators that break the social-distancing rules are subject to a maximum fine of HK$50,000 (US$6,450) and six months in prison.
More from South China Morning Post:
- Hong Kong restaurants skirting seating limits with plastic barriers at tables may fall foul of Covid-19 regulations, industry leaders say
- Live concerts, theatre and dance performances resuming in Hong Kong next week – but don’t forget to wear your face mask