Hong Kong boy, four, ‘stayed by dead mother’s side for 30 hours’ after stepfather suspected to have stabbed her and killed himself

Clifford Lo
·3-min read

A four-year-old boy reportedly remained by his mother’s side for more than 30 hours after she was stabbed to death on her 28th birthday in a Hong Kong flat.

A police source said an initial investigation showed the woman was killed by her husband in a dispute over their relationship before he left the home in the Chi Fu Building on Portland Street in Mong Kok and jumped to his death soon after midnight on Sunday.

The suspect, 32, fell from the roof of a nearby building on Mong Kok Road at around 1am on Monday. The man, who came to Hong Kong from mainland China earlier this year, was the holder of a two-way permit – a mainland travel document for entering the city.

Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.

The murder case came to light just before noon on Tuesday when a friend of the woman visited the Portland Street flat.

Hong Kong woman arrested over fire that left husband in intensive care

The visit was made after the male friend lost contact with the mother. The pair last met on Sunday when they had dinner with their friends to celebrate the victim’s 28th birthday.

When the doorbell rang, the boy opened the door, but the security gate was locked, the source said. Firefighters were called in to break into the flat.

“Inside the flat, the child’s mother was found dead in the toilet. She suffered knife wounds to the head and neck, and a fruit knife was also found stabbed in the left side of her chest,” the source said.

He said the boy was unhurt and had been sent to hospital for a check-up.

Another source said the victim’s friend told police the boy had said his stepfather killed his mother and left the flat, adding an investigation was under way to confirm this.

“We are also finding out if the boy saw the attack,” he said.

Superintendent Billy Ching Chi-yan, assistant Mong Kok district commander (crime), said the investigation showed the victim was killed during a dispute over her love relationship with her husband between 11pm and midnight on Sunday.

He said police were still investigating whether the boy saw the attack in the one-bedroom flat and if he had eaten anything before the case came to light.

He said the case was classified as “murder and suicide” and the Mong Kok district crime squad was investigating.

The second source said the victim, who was a waitress, told her friends at her birthday party on Sunday that her relationship with her husband had turned sour and she wanted a divorce. The pair married about two years ago.

He said police were investigating whether the love problem sparked the killing.

Police said an autopsy would be carried out to establish the cause of death. They also appealed for anyone with information to contact officers on 3661 8750.

More from South China Morning Post:

This article Hong Kong boy, four, ‘stayed by dead mother’s side for 30 hours’ after stepfather suspected to have stabbed her and killed himself first appeared on South China Morning Post

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2020.