A protester who fled to the Netherlands, and another who went missing hours after being told he faced a riot charge over the storming of the Hong Kong legislature last July, have been put on the police wanted list.
Wayne Chan Ka-kui, 29, is believed to have flown to Amsterdam last week, breaching his bail conditions.
Police said the convenor of the Students Independence Union had left the city “on the same day he was required to report to police”.
Chan has been charged with unlawful assembly over a protest in Wan Chai on June 10 last year, and is scheduled to be in court next month.
An active Facebook user, on May 23 he expressed concern for the fate of local activists when the national security law comes into force. But there was no mention of a move abroad, and he could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.
Separately, an arrest warrant has been issued for Man Ka-kin, 21, who missed his hearing before Principal Magistrate Bina Chainrai at Eastern Court on Wednesday. He faces new allegations of rioting in the Legislative Council on July 1, as well as possessing a hand rolled cigarette containing 0.05 grams of cannabis on January 19.
But one of Man’s co-defendants, Chow Lok-him, 30, had charges against him withdrawn after prosecutors revealed their case relied solely on the defendant’s fingerprint being found on a piece of paper lying at the scene of the Legco protest.
The development came a day after the first anniversary of the million-strong march against the extradition bill, which morphed into an anti-government movement extending to other issues that included police use of force and universal suffrage.
Latest figures showed that police have arrested close to 9,000 people and charged 1,749.
Man was one of 12 protesters, including actor Gregory Wong Chung-yiu, 41, and activist Ventus Lau Wing-hong, 26, who learned they would be facing new riot charges that could land them up to seven years in prison.
Another two of their co-defendants, Fan Chun-man, 27, and Brian Leung Kai-ping, 25, were also absent from court on Wednesday. Leung fled to the United States after he became the only person to deliberately reveal his face during the protest on July 1.
The pair have been accused of entering or remaining in the precincts of the Legco chamber, but have yet to acknowledge the summonses compelling their court attendance, so their cases were adjourned to await for personal – instead of postal – service of the order.
But the Post has been told personal delivery is limited to Hong Kong only.
Chow, a garage worker, was cleared of the same charge with costs against the prosecution, after senior assistant director public prosecutors Anthony Chau Tin-hang withdrew prosecution, and failed to convince the court Chow had drawn suspicion upon himself as that paper, which called for the city’s leader Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor to resign, should not have been there.
“No one should be in that building except protesters,” the prosecutor said. “It’s not a coincidence.”
But the magistrate questioned how that fingerprint was made, or how the paper ended up in the building, as Chow was not arrested at the scene.
“We don’t have any evidence,” Chau said.
Chow’s co-defendants are scheduled to return to court on August 3, when their cases are expected to be transferred to the District Court, which can impose stiffer penalties at sentencing.
Rebel City: Hong Kong’s Year of Water and Fire is a new book of essays that chronicles the political confrontation that has gripped the city since June 2019. Edited by the South China Morning Post's Zuraidah Ibrahim and Jeffie Lam, the book draws on work from the Post's newsrooms across Hong Kong, Beijing, Washington and Singapore, with unmatched insights into all sides of the conflict. Buy directly from SCMP today and get a 15% discount (regular price HKD$198). It is available at major bookshops worldwide or online through Amazon, Kobo, Google Books, and eBooks.com.
More from South China Morning Post: