Some 15 Hong Kong opposition figures charged with a variety of offences in connection with last year’s anti-government protests could face tougher punishments, after they dropped a proposed challenge against the transfer of their case to a higher court.
Prosecutors told West Kowloon Court on Wednesday that the group, charged over four unauthorised rallies between August and October, would not launch judicial review proceedings against the decision to move the trial to District Court.
Defence lawyers said at a hearing last month the allegations were not serious enough to warrant a trial in the court, where their clients could be subject to stiffer penalties if convicted.
Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.
While the reason for the defendants’ change of mind was not revealed in court, their lawyers were believed to have made the decision because they thought the chances of winning were slim.
The accused, including media tycoon Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, as well as incumbent and former opposition lawmakers and activists, face 61 charges, which some think are an attempt to silence dissent.
Police have denied that there were any political motives behind their action.
The charges include: organising an unauthorised assembly, knowingly taking part in an unauthorised assembly, and incitement to knowingly take part in an unauthorised assembly.
The offences all carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison, but each is capped at two years in the magistrates’ courts.
Prosecutors applied to move the case to the higher court, where a judge can impose the maximum jail term in sentencing.
Other defendants include lawmaker Leung Yiu-chung and nine former legislators – Martin Lee Chu-ming, Albert Ho Chun-yan, Lee Cheuk-yan, “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung, Cyd Ho Sau-lan, Sin Chung-kai, Yeung Sum, Margaret Ng Ngoi-yee and Au Nok-hin.
Activists Figo Chan Ho-wun, Richard Tsoi Yiu-cheong and Raphael Wong Ho-ming were also charged.
The 15 face two to eight counts stemming from the processions which took place on August 18 and 31, as well as October 1 and 20 last year.
Meanwhile, veteran activist Koo Sze-yiu has been prosecuted for waving an inverted Chinese flag daubed with graffiti outside court before Wednesday’s hearing. The graffiti read: “Black terror. White terror. Fascist terror.”
Police said they would lay one count of desecrating the national flag against the 74-year-old man at the same court on Thursday morning.
He has been jailed seven times for desecrating the national flag. He was last jailed for six weeks for writing slogans on the Chinese flag before tearing it apart during a 2018 protest.
Rebel City: Hong Kong’s Year of Water and Fire is a new book of essays that chronicles the political confrontation that has gripped the city since June 2019. Edited by the South China Morning Post's Zuraidah Ibrahim and Jeffie Lam, the book draws on work from the Post's newsrooms across Hong Kong, Beijing, Washington and Singapore, with unmatched insights into all sides of the conflict. Buy directly from SCMP today and get a 15% discount (regular price HKD$198). It is available at major bookshops worldwide or online through Amazon, Kobo, Google Books, and eBooks.com.
More from South China Morning Post:
- Hong Kong protests: student, 21, jailed for 10 months over home-made blowtorches while teen, 17, gets probation for traffic light vandalism
- National security law: former Hong Kong lawmaker who helped guide opposition primary steps down amid Beijing warnings
- Hong Kong national security law: civil service oath of allegiance shows China’s determination to have ‘patriots governing’ city, says NPC member Tam
- Hong Kong national security law: head of Anglican Church in city says new legislation won’t undermine religious freedom
- Hong Kong protests: man convicted of desecrating Chinese flag becomes second to see sentence go from community service to jail time