Hong Kong pupil accused of bringing explosives into school refused bail at Sha Tin Court

Brian Wong

A Hong Kong pupil who allegedly brought explosives to school was refused bail by a court on Friday.

Form Six student Lai Man-kwong, 18, has been charged with possession of an explosive substance after he was accused of carrying 0.5 grams of triacetone triperoxide (TATP) at Caritas Ma On Shan Secondary School on Wednesday.

Senior public prosecutor Andy Lo Tin-wai told Sha Tin Court the dangerous powder was found wrapped in tin foil, when more than 300 students and teachers were on site.

Police officers at the explosive ordnance disposal bureau were summoned to the scene and neutralised the substance on the spot, he said.

The student was refused bail when he appeared before magistrates on Friday. Photo: Winson Wong

Lo applied for extra time for further police inquiry, including forensic examinations on another bag of suspected explosives, compiling expert reports and analysis of the mobile phone seized from the accused.

Acting principal magistrate Ko Wai-hung adjourned the case to January 24 and ordered Lai to be remanded in custody, after the prosecution objected to him being granted bail. The student may request to review his bail application on December 6.

Possession of explosives is punishable by 14 years in prison under the Crimes Ordinance.

Lai, who is a student at the school and looking to take the Diploma of Secondary Education (DSE) examination next year, was supported by some 40 people in the courtroom, including his mother, teachers and schoolmates.

Hong Kong has been rocked by anti-government protests triggered by a now-withdrawn extradition bill, marked by escalating violence between protesters and police in recent weeks.

Two students of the school, including Lai, were arrested on Wednesday and held overnight for questioning.

The other student, a 17-year-old Form Four pupil, was granted police bail on Thursday night, according to police. He will report back to police in mid-December. Detectives from the New Territories South regional crime unit are handling the case.

The incident forced the school to evacuate all students and staff from the premises on Wednesday. Classes were suspended the following day for a clean-up.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the school said they had provided help to the two students.

This article Hong Kong pupil accused of bringing explosives into school refused bail at Sha Tin Court first appeared on South China Morning Post

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2019.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting.