Japan travel: 11 things to do in Hiroshima
Don't forget to make use of the Japan Rail pass for extra savings.
When people travel to Japan, Hiroshima is probably the last few cities to come to mind. After all, it is not as big a city as Tokyo or Osaka, as rustic as Kyoto, or as iconic as Okinawa or the Hokkaido region.
However, we’d all at least know Hiroshima from our history textbook. It is the first military target of a nuclear weapon in human history. The city is where the United States Army Air Forces dropped the atomic bomb “Little Boy” on 6 August 1945 during World War II.
Designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996, the Hiroshima Peace Memorial, or Atomic Bomb Dome, was the only structure left standing in the area where the atomic bomb exploded. It now serves as a memorial to those who were killed — most were civilians — and as a reminder of the catastrophic effects of nuclear weapons, expressing the hope for world peace.
While Hiroshima may not be as easily accessible as major cities like Tokyo or Osaka, there are a few ways to get there. The most direct way is to fly into the city. Certain airlines like Singapore Airlines offer a direct flight to Hiroshima. Otherwise, you can take a domestic flight from the capital Tokyo to Hiroshima.
If being on an altitude is not your cup of tea, you can take the bullet train or Shinkansen from nearby cities like Osaka or Fukuoka. Don't forget to make use of the Japan Rail pass for extra savings.
Japan JR Hiroshima-Yamaguchi Area Pass eMCO E-Ticket
JR West Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass: e-MCO Voucher
Now that you know how to get there, start incorporating some of these activities in Hiroshima into your next Japan trip!
1. See the ruin and the history of the Atomic Bomb Dome
Hiroshima and Miyajima Day Tour from Hiroshima
2. Witness the “floating” torii gate at Itsukushima Shrine
Oyster Farm Experience with Visit to Itsukushima Shrine in Hiroshima
3. Stroll along the Miyajima Machiya street and Omotesando shopping street
Miyajima Omotesando Shopping Street
4. Feel the autumn vibes at Momijidani Park
5. Visit the Hiroshima Castle
One-Day Miyajima, Hiroshima Castle & Peace Memorial Park Tour
6. Channel your zen energy at Shukkei-en Garden
7. Feed the adorable rabbits at Okunoshima
Okunoshima (a.k.a.Rabbit island) and Saijo Sake Breweries
8. Cycle from island to island at Shimanami Kaido
Private Tour Shimanamikaido 1-day Cycling tour (Departure from Onomichi)
9. Indulge in Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki and oysters
Hiroshima Bar Hopping Food Tour
10. Shop at The Outlets Hiroshima, the largest outlet mall in the Chugoku-Shikoku region
11. See an amazing display of colours at The Hiroshima Botanical Garden
The Hiroshima Botanical Garden
Check airfare here: Skyscanner | Trip.com | Expedia
Book accommodations and activities here: Agoda | Booking.com | Klook | KKday | HotelsCombined
General info here: Tripadvisor
Affordable data plans here
And while you are at it, be sure to get your travel insurance!