JOHOR BARU: The main building of the Sultanah Aminah Hospital, which was temporarily shuttered to allow for repairs following a fire which killed six patients last year, has been re-opened ahead of schedule.
Johor Health and Environment Committee chairman Datuk Ayub Rahmat said 16 wards (comprising a total of 500 beds) and the operation theatre resumed services on March 1.
"Out of the 18 wards affected by repair works, 16 have resumed operations.
"Only two wards, the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and the Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CICU) remain closed," said Ayub, adding that the hospital has another ICU which is still functioning.
He said repair works are running ahead of schedule, as the Health Ministry had previously estimated that the works would probably be completed only by June.
"With 16 wards re-opening, services are back on track, (meaning) that the repair works were efficient," he said after launching a joint programme for pre-hospital and ambulance services involving the state Health Department and Fire and Rescue Department.
Six patients were killed, while four others were injured in the fire which razed the ICU at the hospital’s main building's second floor, on Oct 25 last year.