Johor cycling crash tragedy: Police to wrap up investigation soon

Hariz Mohd

SHAH ALAM: Police expect to soon wrap-up their investigation into the horrifying Feb 18 traffic accident which saw eight teenage cyclists killed in Johor Baru.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said investigators took their time probing the tragedy to ensure that they have a solid case before taking further action.

He said the long investigation period is not an indication that police were inactive on the case – rather, the time was used to collect all evidence and make sure no stones were left unturned.

"This is a big case in which eight lives were lost. The police cannot conduct such an investigation in a perfunctory manner.

"We cannot rush, as, without strong and solid evidence that can hold up in court, police would, in the end, lose the case.

"If this happens, it means we are not doing justice to the victims and their family.

"I had personally met with the investigating officer to ask about the case, and was told that the process was lengthy, as it also involves many other agencies which need time to process and make their analysis on evidence," he told reporters after launching a seminar at Kelab Shah Alam here this morning.

Noor Rashid was commenting on netizens' complaints over the case, with some comparing the time being taken by Malaysian police to action against the driver responsible, with the time taken by Singaporean authorities in a fatal accident case in the republic recently.

He said among the agencies involved in the Johor Baru incident investigation are the Chemistry Department, Puspakom, and the Road Transport Department.

"I expect the case investigation to finish soon, after which, we will take further action based on the findings," he said.

The 3am incident occurred when a Nissan Almera, driven by a 22-year-old woman, ploughed into a group of 30 to 40 cyclists at the Inner Ring Road in Johor Baru.

The fatal crash also saw eight other teenagers seriously injured.

The driver was arrested following the incident to facilitate investigation under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless driving leading to death, and was released on police bail the next day.