Kim Kardashian’s love of melting M&Ms in the microwave has caused a storm on Twitter.
The reality star, 39, shared a video on her Twitter account in which she enthuses about the “melted magic” that occurs when you melt the sugar-coated sweets using this method.
In the short clip, which has 2.5 million views at time of writing, she picks up various colours of M&M sweets and squeezes them so that the melted chocolate oozes out the centre.
For the most part, her fans have been all for the trick.
This is how you eat M&M’s! Microwave them for 30 seconds then enjoy the melted magic! pic.twitter.com/hkaK6vaaaN— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) November 24, 2019
this is the only way I’m eating M&Ms now— G (@cryingforkarla) November 24, 2019
This is incredible thank you Kim 🙏— Michael Pavlik (@mikeypavv) November 25, 2019
But, not everyone is on board.
A number complained that the cooking technique has resulted in sparks from their appliance.
I put m&ms in the microwave like Kim kardashian said and my microwave started sparking and now my mom and grandma are just giving me weird looks thanks Kim— victoria (@VictoriaGP96) November 25, 2019
Tried @KimKardashian recommendation on putting m&ms in the microwave and ended up catching the plate on fire.— Marissa Brajkovich (@marissabrak) November 25, 2019
So is Kardashian’s trick safe? We asked Dr Sue Bailey, a food science consultant, to give her advice on how to safety heat the confectionary.
She told Yahoo UK it can be done safely – but you will need to take a few precautions.
First, only put the sweets in the microwave for 15 seconds, rather than Kardashian’s recommended 30.
“Any food that is sugar based can reach a very high temperature really quickly in a microwave.
“So if you are going to try this ‘life changing’ chocolate snacking tip- try for 15 seconds on full power first - spread out a number on a plate or kitchen paper. Then check that you are not going to burn your fingers.
She added: “Don’t try and crunch them straight away in your mouth- you might burn your tongue.”
Addressing the rumoured risk of M&Ms sparking in your microwave, Bailey says while you should be safe with the normal variety, there’s a possibility it could happen with peanut ones.
“That’s due to the higher fat content in the peanuts,” she explained.