KUALA LUMPUR: Eat your heart out, world!
Malaysia’s curry laksa has ranked second out of 500 international dishes on Lonely Planet's Ultimate Eatlist 2018.
The famed travel guide says every foodie should try curry laksa in Kuala Lumpur at least once in their life.
In fact, 11 Malaysian dishes found their way into this year’s edition of the must-read epicurean bible:
- Ikan bakar (#60)
- Penang assam laksa (#123)
- Beef rendang (#268)
- Wantan mee (#299)
- Kaya toast (#352)
- Roti canai (#404)
- Char kway teow (#432)
- Durian (#445)
- Hokkien mee (#464)
- Bak kut teh (#468)
All 500 entries in the Eatlist were curated and published into an authoritative gastronomical guide.
Lonely Planet’s editorial director Tom Hall says the 'Ultimate Eatlist' is about "the overall experience of eating a particular dish in a specific location."
The list curates the world's top foodie experiences as recommended by top chefs, food writers and Lonely Planet authors. Malaysian-born MasterChef Australia winner Adam Liaw and The Cutlery Chronicles food blogger Leyla Kazim were brought onboard to assist Lonely Planet's food editors with the definitive rankings.
Each entry was evaluated based on its "taste, its cultural importance, and the special atmosphere of the location," Lonely Planet says.
Sitting on top of the list is pintxos in San Sebastian, Spain, while sushi in Tokyo took the third spot.
The top 20 encounters you’ll want to check off your foodie bucket list according to Lonely Planet’s ‘Ultimate Eatlist’:
1. Pintxos in San Sebastián, Spain
2. Curry laksa in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3. Sushi in Tokyo, Japan
4. Beef brisket in Texas, USA
5. Som tum in Bangkok, Thailand
6. Smørrebrød in Copenhagen, Denmark
7. Crayfish in Kaikoura, New Zealand
8. Bibimbap in Seoul, South Korea
9. Pizza margherita in Naples, Italy
10. Dim sum in Hong Kong
11. Ceviche in Peru
12. Pastéis de nata in Lisbon, Portugal
13. Oysters in Freycinet, Australia
14. Cheese experiences in France
15. Jerk chicken in Jamaica
16. Lamb tagine in Marrakech, Morocco
17. Chilli crab in Singapore
18. Moules frites in Brussels, Belgium
19. Peking duck in Beijing
20. Pho on the Hau River, VietnamCLICK HERE to read the original article. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd