PETALING JAYA, April 11 — The KLCares mobile phone application or app, which is down, has not been neglected or abandoned but is being updated, says Kuala Lumpur City Hall.
City Hall corporate communications head Khalid Zakaria yesterday dismissed claims that RM1 million spent to develop the application had gone down the drain less than a year after it was launched.
He said it had been inaccessible to some users as it is undergoing updates.
“We are working on a new Android version which includes updates to the mapping component of the app and its database server, which could have led to users being locked out of the application currently,” he said in a statement yesterday.
“However, for IOS users like iPhone and iPad, they aren’t able to access the system as the app is undergoing a licensing renewal process with Apple. Users of both systems can expect the issue to be resolved soon.”
On Sunday, Sunday Mail reported that the app no longer works for both the Android and IOS system, with users not able to log into the system despite keying in the right details.
Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng had brought the application’s failure to light and had asked City Hall to rectify the problem after failing to get answers despite trying for three days.
Khalid, however, refuted Lim’s claim, pointing out that the app only cost a fraction of what he said and it was not a standalone app.
“The app costs RM80,000 and this includes the design, development aspects along with the system merging with the nationwide Integrated Public Agency Complaints Monitoring System (i-SPAAA), which is developed by the Public Complaints Bureau and the Prime Minister’s Office,” said Khalid.
The app was launched in July 2015 to allow city folk to lodge complaints to City Hall. It only has over 1,000 downloads on the Google Play Store.
Khalid also urged users to keep their KLCares app up to date once the system goes live again.
“We also have resolved over 1,400 complaints since its launch till March 2017,” he said.