Letter: Deirdre Le Faye obituary

David and Evelyn Baker
·1-min read

The archaeological interests of our friend Deirdre Le Faye went much further than being a classic 1960s holidaying volunteer. As a key member of the group led by a local vicar, George Knapp, exploring the site of medieval Selborne Priory, Hampshire, between 1953 and 1969, she applied her formidable research skills to extensive historical documentation and in 1975 published a succinct account.

This material and her encourage- ment were essential supports to us in publishing the excavation results for the Hampshire Field Club.

The priory, which was famously chronicled in Gilbert White’s Natural History and Antiquities of 1789, well fitted Deirdre’s interests well, being just down the road from Chawton and Jane Austen’s House.