LTA, construction firm mutually terminate contract for PIE viaduct that collapsed

(PHOTO: SCDF)

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) and Or Kim Peow Contractors have mutually agreed to terminate their contract for the construction of a viaduct at Upper Changi Road East, which collapsed last July.

In a news release on Monday (9 July), the LTA said it will call a new replacement tender for the TPE-PIE Changi viaduct later this month and that it is looking to award the contract by the fourth quarter of this year.

“The replacement contractor will be responsible for completing the construction of the viaduct, including the demolition of any structures deemed unsafe,” said the authority.

“In the interim, the site will be maintained by LTA’s term contractor until the replacement contractor is appointed.”

The viaduct in question collapsed at around 3.30am on 14 July last year, killing one worker and injuring 10 others. Preliminary investigations found that the brackets helping to support the structure’s beams had given way, causing a section of the viaduct to collapse.

On 30 May, following investigations by the Ministry of Manpower, five individuals along with Or Kim Peow Contractors were charged for breaches under the Workplace Safety and Health Act and the Building Control Act.

As the firm was previously convicted of a similar offence, which also led to a person’s death, it faces an enhanced maximum fine of $1 million if convicted of the latest charge. Meanwhile, the firm’s group managing director faces a jail term of up to two years and a maximum fine of $200,000 if convicted.

Related stories:

Changi viaduct collapse: Construction firm and 5 individuals charged

Structure on highway under construction collapses near PIE, leaving 1 dead, 10 injured

PIE site accident: Construction firm fined recently over separate fatal accident

PIE site accident: LTA officers carry out inspections