MACC: 1MDB investigations 60% completed

Irwan Shafrizan Ismail and Noor Atiqah Sulaiman

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) investigations into the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) scandal are 60 per cent completed.

MACC deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Seri Azam Baki said the remaining 40 per cent has yet to be completed as it involves dealings overseas.

“MACC began investigating 1MDB three months ago and we have managed to complete what we have in a short period of time. At present, we have completed 60 per cent, which concerns evidence from within the country, but the remaining 40 per cent concerns evidence from outside the country.

“With the manpower we had, we managed to complete the investigation as best we could. Give us some time to get statements from overseas, to investigate together with the United States and Singapore,” he told reporters.

Azam was asked to comment on investigations into 1MDB conducted by a special team comprising former MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed, former attorney-general Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail, another former MACC chief commissioner Datuk Seri Mohd Shukri Abdull and police Special Branch director Datuk Abdul Hamid Bador.

The team was formed after Pakatan Harapan won the 14th general election and Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad ordered investigations into 1MDB reopened.

Billions of ringgit are alleged to have been taken from 1MDB and its subsidiary companies, including former subsidiary SRC International.

Investigations are being carried out in several countries, including the US, Singapore and Switzerland.

In Malaysia alone, besides the special committee formed by Dr Mahathir, MACC and police are carrying out investigations as well.

Among the most sought after people is businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, now a fugitive and believed to be hiding in China. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd