MACC summons Penang DCM, exco for undersea tunnel probe

By Opalyn Mok
It is learnt that Penang state executive councillor Lim Hock Seng went to the MACC headquarters along Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah here this morning to his statement to be recorded. — Picture by KE Ooi

GEORGE TOWN, Feb 13 — State executive councillor Lim Hock Seng and Deputy Chief Minister II P. Ramasamy have been called in by the Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) for its investigations into the RM6.3 billion undersea tunnel and three paired roads project here.

It is learnt that Lim went to the MACC headquarters along Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah here this morning to his statement to be recorded.

Ramasamy confirmed that he will go to the MACC headquarters at 9am tomorrow to provide his statement.

“I will be accompanied by my lawyer Datuk Ajit Singh,” he said.

This is a continuation of MACC's probe into the controversial undersea tunnel project.

MACC had already detained four senior company executives for questioning in its investigations into the case since last month, and conducted raids at various offices including state government agencies.

The controversial 7.2km undersea tunnel, which was awarded to Consortium Zenith, was proposed to connect Gurney Drive on the island to Bagan Ajam in Butterworth as part of the state’s Penang Transport Master Plan to ease traffic congestion in the state.

The feasibility studies for the tunnel was delayed for almost two years and last October, Consortium Zenith claimed there was no hurry to complete the studies as the project is only expected to start in 2023.

A MACC source previously said that the investigation was focused on the RM305 million allegedly paid for the studies.