BAYAN LEPAS: A man, who was detained by police for chopping off his wife’s hand following an argument at an apartment in Bayan Lepas last week, is expected to be charged at the Sessions Court tomorrow.
Southwest district police chief Superintendent A. A. Anbalagan said the suspect would be charged with voluntarily causing grievous hurt to his wife by dangerous weapons or means.
“We have decided to charge him at the Sessions Court in Georgetown,” he said.
On Aug 12, the 39-year-old man chopped off his wife’s left hand, on suspicion of indidelity.
Police were alerted to the 12.55am incident at the Bayu Nyaman Flats parking lot when they received a report of a robbery, in which the 24-year-old victim had been injured.
However, investigation later revealed nothing had been stolen from the victim, whose hand had been chopped off.
A police team tracked and detained the suspect at 3am the same night in front of a surau in Lebuh Maccalum.
Following interrogation, the suspect admitted committing the offence due to revenge and jealousy, suspecting his wife of having an affair with another man for the past two years. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd