35-year-old man dies after falling from height at Ngee Ann City mall

Vernon Lee
Senior Editor
(PHOTOS: Vernon Lee / Yahoo News Singapore)

SINGAPORE — A 35-year-old man died after falling inside Ngee Ann City on Sunday (14 July) afternoon.

A police spokesperson said that officers were alerted at 2.07pm to a case of unnatural death at the mall.

The man was found lying motionless at the scene and was taken unconscious to Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH). He later succumbed to his injuries.

When Yahoo News Singapore visited the scene at around 4pm, blood was seen on the ground outside the Action City store at the Basement 2 level of the Orchard Road mall. Police officers had also cordoned off the area.

‘I feel nauseous’

Some of the staff at the mall’s Basement 2 shops spoke about what they witnessed.

“I was working inside the shop when I heard a loud bang. My colleague and I stepped out of the shop to check it out,” said Mr Ong, retail manager at Spectacle Hut.

“We saw a Caucasian-looking man, who looked to be in his 30s, bleeding heavily from his head. Police and SCDF officers arrived shortly after,” he added.

Ms Chen, a sales associate at GG<5, was at work when the incident took place just metres away from her apparel store.

Speaking in Mandarin, she said, “I heard a loud bang and saw a man who looked to be fair-skinned and in his 30s outside my shop, on the ground bleeding. A crowd immediately gathered around.”

Twitter user Andi Adhyaksa said in a post at 2.27pm that he had witnessed an accident at the Basement 2 level of the mall.

“I feel nauseous now (sic),” he said in the post. In a follow-up post, Adhyaksa said it was the first time he had “heard someone screamed to its death, literally (sic)”.

Police investigations into the case are ongoing.

More Singapore stories:

Malaysian drug suspect under investigation for offering RM50 bribe to CNB officer

Father and son among 109 suspected drug offenders arrested in 5-day CNB operation

COMMENT: Don't stop talking about privilege in Singapore