Man who fled Singapore in 2002 after slashing KTV patron jailed 7 months

Amir Hussain
Senior Reporter
Thinking he was responsible for the victim’s death, Ong Boon Sim fled to Johor Bahru and remained on the run for almost 15 years. (Yahoo News Singapore file photo)

Unhappy with another patron at a KTV lounge, a 43-year-old man picked up a meat cleaver and slashed the other man once on his left thigh, a district court heard.

Later that same night in 2002, the 21-year-old victim got into another altercation and died in hospital hours later from another injury he received – this time a cut to a major vein in his right thigh.

Thinking he was responsible for the victim’s death, the perpetrator of the first attack fled to Johor Bahru but was caught at the Woodlands Checkpoint after a police gazette was issued against him last year.

At the State Courts on Monday (29 October), Ong Boon Sim, now 59, was jailed seven months for causing hurt by means of a cutting instrument.

Started with a bump

The court heard that the victim, Low Yam Heng, had visited the M G Music Lounge on Tanjong Katong Road at about 8pm on 2 June 2002.

As he swung the glass door inwards to enter the lounge, the edge of the door hit Ong. Low stared at Ong before heading into a KTV room to join three other friends.

At about 9.30pm, Low went to a nearby coffeeshop to have dinner with a friend.

An hour later, Ong went to buy cigarettes from the same coffeeshop. As he was walking past Low’s table, Low uttered vulgarities and made offensive remarks directed at Ong, the court heard.

The two men then quarrelled, and Low tossed a chair at Ong and challenged him to a fight.

Ong then picked up a meat cleaver from the wash basin of a food stall, but Low and his friend fled when they saw Ong brandishing the weapon.

However, Low tripped and fell in front of M G Music Lounge. Ong then caught up with Low and slashed the latter’s left thigh once with the cleaver. Low then got up and walked away while Ong returned to the KTV lounge.

Second attack proved fatal

Hours later, Low returned to the lounge and got into a fight with the establishment’s manager during which Low rained blows on the latter.

In the ensuing brawl, Low was stabbed once in his right thigh by an unknown man. Low fled in a taxi, but was later taken to Changi General Hospital where he died at 2.05am.

A post-mortem found that he died from severe bleeding due to a stab wound to his right upper thigh which cut his right femoral vein. Low also suffered an abrasion and bruises on the left upper thigh, caused by Ong’s attack.

Ong had fled the country as he feared reprisal from Low’s friends and possible prosecution over the latter’s death, the court heard.

For his actions, Ong could have been jailed for up to five years, fined, caned, or received any two of such punishments.

More Singapore stories:

Ex-NSP leader Lim Tean says new Peoples Voice party has been officially registered

Singapore Pools to take over horse-betting operations from Turf Club