Twitter, the world’s largest microblogging service launched back in 2006, has come a long way. The online social networking and microblogging service enables users to send and read short 140-character text messages, called “tweets”. Registered users can read and post tweets, but unregistered users can only read them.
Currently, there are over 255 million monthly active users on Twitter, and over 500 million tweets are sent per day.
Have you ever wondered how many Twitter users are there in Singapore? Well apparently Singapore based Visakan Veerasamy did ponder upon that question. He did a Followerwonk search for Twitter bios with the location as “Singapore”, and it gave him a total of 269,629 results.
We did a similar search, and it gave us a total of 285,236 results as of the time of this writing:
Here are some interesting facts Visakan found, taken from popular Q&A site Quora:
Oldest Account: The oldest Twitter account with location “Singapore” belongs to Tito Costa (@tito), who signed up in July 2006. He’s a managing director at Zalora. Other notable early adopters include Adrianna Tan (@skinnylatte) and Vinnie Lauria (@vlauria). Darryl Kang (@dk). @avalon, who runs Love Kuching project. All of those folks signed up in 2006.
Most Followers: The most Twitter followers that an account with location “Singapore” belongs to Merry Riana (@MerryRiana), who seems to be some sort of Adam Khoo type celebrity. She has 1,060,000 Twitter followers. But she seems to be largely based in Jakarta, and tweets in Bahasa Indonesia. Also, she follows like 400k++ accounts.
Here are some other Singapore Twitter accounts Visakan highlighted:
- Straits Times @STCom has 298k followers
- Channel NewsAsia has 197k followers
- Xiaxue has 179k followers
- @TODAYonline has 134k followers
- @SoSingaporean has 128k followers
- @mrbrown has 104k followers
- @konghee has 95k followers
- Kimberly Chia (@kimberly_chia) has 70k followers
- @SMRT_Singapore has 67k followers
- Lee Hsien Loong (@leehsienloong) has 67k followers
- Taufil Batisah (@taufikbatisah) has 63k followers
- Joanne Peh, 60k followers
- NEA @NEAsg, has 57k followers
- The New Paper has 49k followers
- 987fm has 44k followers
- Michelle Chong has 36k followers
- Irene Ang has 20k followers
Looking at all the figures from Followerwonk, a Twitter analytics tool, Visakan estimated that Singapore has about 150,000- 200,000 odd Twitter users.
What do you think?