Mayor Terekhov: Kharkiv's critical energy systems nearly wiped out

Russian strike aftermath
Russian strike aftermath

Kharkiv’s vital energy infrastructure is nearly obliterated, following a relentless series of attacks, mayor Ihor Terekhov said in an interview with Ukrainian news agency Liga.net published on April 1.

Terekhov detailed the extensive damage that has left the city's residents grappling with severe power shortages.

"Almost every component of our critical energy systems has been taken down, and the private sector's infrastructure hasn't been spared either," Terekhov shared, reflecting on the city's resilience amidst ongoing adversity.

The mayor highlighted the city's enduring spirit despite Russia's continued efforts to undermine it. "Over the past two years, we've faced myriad threats, from sabotage to direct assaults on Kharkiv," he noted.

At one point, the city, home to nearly two million people, saw as many as 300,000 residents without power, illustrating the scale of the crisis. Yet, in the face of these daunting challenges, Terekhov emphasized the community's determination to persevere.

Read also: Kharkiv mayor: 'We will not falter in face of Russian aggression'

Kharkiv has set up "Points of Invincibility" that operate 24/7, offering essential services to residents during power outages. "In the last blackout alone, 28,000 people visited these centers. Our schools are providing free meals, and over the year, we've distributed 10 million meals," Terekhov stated, showcasing the city's efforts to support its populace.

The situation with electricity supply in Kharkiv after the attack on March 22

Kharkiv was almost completely left without electricity after the largest massive Russian attack on the power system on March 22, when Russia fired more than 150 targets at Ukraine. The city experienced problems with water and heat supply.

The Kharkiv subway, which had been out of service since the massive Russian attack on the power grid, reopened on March 25. The head of the Kharkiv Oblast State Administration, Oleh Syniehubov, said that about 200,000 subscribers in the city were cut off from electricity.

Read also: Kharkiv kindergarten employee arrested for guiding Russian attacks

We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine