Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have 'no plans' to visit Balmoral, 'disappointing' the Queen

Francesca Specter
Yahoo Style UK deputy editor
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will reportedly not be visiting Balmoral this year. [Photo: Getty]

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have reportedly refused an invitation to visit Balmoral, the Queen’s private residence in Aberdeenshire.

The Queen and husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, stay in the Scottish castle every summer, usually staying until October.

Younger members of the Royal Family tend to join the pair for shorter periods during August.

READ MORE: Kate Middleton and Prince William join Queen at Balmoral

But the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who welcomed son Archie Harrison in May, have declined an invitation to visit this year, according to a UK newspaper.

Recent addition to the family

The Sussexes may have chosen to avoid a Balmoral trip because of their newborn son’s age, it has been speculated.

Harry and Meghan had no plans to go to Balmoral this summer as they felt Archie was too young,” a source told The Sun.

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge drive to Crathie Kirk Church during Balmoral Castle stay. [Photo: Getty]
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall leave Crathie Kirk after the Sunday church service near Balmoral. [Photo: Getty]

However, this would not be the first time the little one has travelled: the Sussexes have taken controversial private jet trips to both Ibiza and France in recent weeks.

“It’s a bit odd, as his age didn’t stop them taking him to Ibiza for a week and then to see Elton John in France,” added the source.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry hire ‘Hollywood’ crisis management firm

Peter Phillips, Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Andrew and the Duke of Edinburgh at Balmoral Castle in 1979. [Photo: PA]

“If they want privacy or protection — which was Harry’s excuse for taking private jets — there is no more protected or private holiday destination than the Queen’s Scottish home.”

Meghan’s aversion to hunting

It has also been suggested that the pair may have avoided a Balmoral trip due to speculation Meghan Markle is opposed to hunting.

The sport is a popular and longstanding fixture on the royals’ agenda during their Balmoral stay.

Prince William, left, poses for photographers August 16, 1997 along with Prince Harry and Prince Charles at Balmoral, Scotland. [Photo: Getty]

“It’s all very hunting, shooting, fishing up at Balmoral, so maybe that put Meghan off,” the source added.

However, Markle has never spoken publicly about her attitudes towards hunting and shooting.

Meghan ‘has never been’ to Balmoral

It’s believed the Duchess of Sussex, who began dating Prince Harry in the summer of 2016, has never visited Balmoral.

“[Meghan] has never been to Balmoral and the Queen was disappointed they’re not going,” according to the source.

Balmoral is said to be the location where the Queen is at her most happy.

"I think Granny is the most happy there. I think she really, really loves the Highlands," said Princess Eugenie in a documentary called ‘Our Queen At Ninety’.

While Duchess Meghan was expected to visit Balmoral last summer, following her wedding to Prince Harry in May 2018, a trip never took place.

READ MORE: Piers Morgan criticises 'woke princess' Meghan Markle

Royals who have visited Balmoral so far this summer include Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, in addition to the Cambridges who were photographed flying on a budget airline to the location.

Other guests this year include the Duke of York, Earl and Countess of Wessex and their two children, Princess Anne and Sir Timothy Laurence and Peter and Autumn Phillips.