- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
SINGAPORE — The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will be updating its Fair Consideration Framework (FCF), which deters employers from discriminating against Singaporeans when hiring.
“Expect stronger deterrence for discrimination against Singaporeans when hiring, but also stronger support for employers who are committed to giving our people a fair chance,” said Manpower Minister Josephine Teo, who announced the move in a Facebook post on Wednesday (1 January).
Implemented in August 2014, the FCF obliges businesses here to prove that they are unable to hire local candidates before submitting more Employment Pass (EP) applications for foreign hires.
At the time, businesses with more than 25 employees with job openings for professionals, managers and executives that paid less than $12,000 per month had to run advertisements for at least 14 days before they were allowed to make an EP application. These rules were expanded in July 2018 to cover firms with more than 10 employees and job openings that pay less than $10,000 per month.
Elsewhere in her Facebook post, Teo noted MOM’s 2019 milestones. These included sustaining a record low workplace fatality rate of 1.2 per 100,000 workers for two years in a row and a buidling “10-year roadmap to raise the retirement and re-employment ages” to allow older employees to continue working.
“Lower fatalities and injuries mean that more comparisons are favourable internationally. However, their real significance is fairness for workers whose lives are put at risk,” said Teo, noting that this was the motivation for developing the Workplace Safety and Health 2028 plan.
The 51-year-old Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC MP added that MOM is also gearing up for Budget 2020 and the Committee of Supply debate. “In good times, it is fair for employers to share gains. In times of change, it is fair for the Government to support the efforts of businesses that also benefit workers,” said Teo.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Ministry of Finance announced that Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat would be delivering the Budget 2020 statement on 18 February.