Lazada and Shopee are two of the leading e-commerce websites in the Philippines and Southeast Asia—not just for consumers but also business-minded Filipinos who want to make money online in their spare time.
These platforms for online sellers are beginner-friendly. For as low as PHP 10,000, you can start selling and earning profits with just a computer or smartphone, internet connection, and, of course, items to sell and a bank account for receiving payments. Lazada and Shopee don’t charge new online sellers a registration fee.
It also doesn’t matter if you’re in Manila, a province, or even abroad. You can run your business anytime and anywhere while reaching customers all over the Philippines.
What’s more, starting as an online seller on Lazada or Shopee is simple even for newbies like college students, fresh graduates, or work-from-home parents.
Interested in starting your online business soon? Here’s a guide to help you prepare and set yourself up for success as a Shopee or Lazada online seller.
How to be a Lazada Online Seller
Lazada Online Seller Types
Before you start selling on Lazada, it’s important to know the different types of online sellers you may apply for. Choose a Lazada online seller type that fits you best.
These online sellers are authorized distributors or owners of brands. LazMall is the premium type of online seller account, as it offers exclusive access to LazMall campaigns and additional seller tools. LazMall sellers also enjoy higher overall search ranking, which means they are among the brands that shoppers see first when they search for a product on Lazada.
Another advantage of being a LazMall seller is that customers tend to trust and buy products with the LazMall logo. It’s because LazMall guarantees authentic products and superior shopping experience.
However, Lazada charges LazMall sellers commission fees when their products are sold.
Local sellers are individual or corporate Lazada online sellers who are based in the Philippines. They also have access to online seller tools. Lazada doesn’t charge commissions from its local sellers.
First-time entrepreneurs who want to make money online most likely start as local sellers on Lazada.
Lazada also accepts online sellers with a registered business who are based in Hong Kong, Macau, China, Taiwan, South Korea, or Japan. Like other Lazada online seller types, overseas sellers can access the e-commerce platform’s seller tools. LazGlobal sellers ship their products to Lazada’s overseas sort center.
LazGlobal sellers pay a commission fee to Lazada when they make a sale.
Lazada Online Seller Requirements
For LazMall sellers and corporate local sellers, Lazada requires them to submit the following documents to prove they’re registered with the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) and Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) or Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC):
- BIR Certificate of Registration
- DTI business permit
- DTI/SEC business registration certificate
Meanwhile, individual local sellers must be at least 18 years old and present a valid ID to start selling on Lazada.
How to Start as a Lazada Online Seller
1. Register for a Lazada Online Seller Account
Once you have the required documents for seller registration, you can already create your account at Lazada Seller Center.
First, you’ll have to fill out a Lazada online seller registration form on the Seller Center website or mobile app.
There are different forms for different types of online sellers:
Take clear photos of your documents or ID that you’ll submit to Lazada. Also, prepare your bank account information, as you’ll receive payments weekly from Lazada via bank transfer.
After submitting your registration form, wait for a week for Lazada to review your application. If your account is verified, expect a call or email from Lazada with instructions on how to proceed.
2. Add Your Products
Lazada requires beginning online sellers to have five products or more available that they can sell. There are also restricted items that you can’t sell, like weapons, gambling products, and malicious software.
If your products are available and you’re ready to sell them, you can start uploading them online. Visit Lazada Seller Center and log into your account. Then tap “Add Products” and enter the product name, category, and description. You can upload products individually or as one batch.
3. Manage Your Online Store
Lazada allows its sellers to manage their virtual store on Seller Center. You can view how your online store performs and make necessary adjustments through the seller tools. Just tap Business Advisor to access the dashboard for managing your Lazada online shop.
4. Ship Products
When you receive an order, it’s time to have it delivered to your customer. Pack the item and wait for Lazada to pick it up and deliver to the customer.
To view pending orders for shipping, tap Orders > Forward Orders > Pending.
5. Receive Payments
Every week, payments for your purchased products will be credited to the bank account you registered with Lazada. You can check your account statement on the Seller Center website or app.
How to be a Shopee Online Seller
Shopee Online Seller Types
Shopee Mall Seller
These online sellers are official distributors or owners of a brand who are members of Shopee Mall, an exclusive online marketplace. Because they offer licensed, authentic products, they gain more trust from customers.
Preferred sellers are an elite group of sellers with the “Preferred” label. To qualify as a preferred seller, a Shopee online seller must have excellent customer service and sales record, quality product listings with competitive prices, and high seller ratings. Membership to the Shopee preferred seller program is by invitation only.
Like Lazada, Shopee accepts sellers from outside the Philippines. Shopee’s overseas sellers are based in either China or South Korea.
No Label/Marketplace Seller
No Label sellers are online resellers who buy unbranded wholesale products and sell them as a retailer on Shopee.
Shopee Online Seller Requirements
The requirements for starting an online business on Shopee depends on the seller type.
If you’re interested in being a Shopee Mall seller, you’ll need to show proof that your business is registered with appropriate government agencies:
- BIR Certificate of Registration (Form 2303)
- Mayor’s permit
- DTI/SEC business registration certificate
- Registered official shop logo
- Collection receipt and invoice
- For brand owners: Trademark/IP certification
- For official distributors: Official distribution license/ authorization from the actual brand
As for No Label sellers, business registration with the DTI or SEC is not required.
How to Start as a Shopee Online Seller
1. Download the Shopee App
If you don’t have the mobile app on your phone yet, download it now via the App Store or Google Play Store.
2. Submit a Completed Online Registration Form
Access the Shopee online seller sign-up form, fill it out, and click the Submit button.
Don’t forget to verify your mobile number to complete your Shopee online seller account registration. Without a verified mobile number, you won’t be able to get your products seen by potential customers.
3. Create Your Online Seller Account
Within five business days after signing up, a Shopee sales representative will send you a text or email message to help you set up your online store.
4. Add Your Products
Before you start selling on Shopee, make sure that your products are not among the e-commerce platform’s prohibited items (e.g., medicines, stolen goods, used cosmetics, etc.).
To upload your products, log into your Shopee online seller account, tap “My Shop” > “Add New Product.”
Next, upload your product images. For every product listing, you can upload a maximum of nine photos.
There are three ways to add pictures of your items:
- Take a photo using your smartphone camera (Tap “Camera”) and then directly add upload it in-app
- Add a picture from your Instagram account (Tap “Instagram”)
- Select an existing image from your phone’s gallery (Tap “Photos”)
After uploading photos of your product, provide information such as the name, category, price, description, variations, and shipping fee. You may add hashtags so that customers can easily view your products on Shopee.
Finally, tap “Submit” to list your item on Shopee.
5. Sell and Earn
Once you’ve completed your product listings, you can already begin selling on Shopee.
Online Seller Tips for Beginners
Have you set up your Lazada or Shopee online store already? Great! Here are some quick tips to increase your sales, decrease costs, and ensure your safety as an online seller.
- Price your products reasonably and competitively. Check your competitors’ pricing to have a benchmark of how your items should be priced.
- Provide accurate and detailed product descriptions. This makes your brand and products look more legitimate in the eyes of online shoppers. Anticipate the possible questions that customers might ask and provide the answers in the description.
- Add high-quality photos of your products. Consider investing in a DSLR, mirrorless camera, or smartphone that can take professional-quality photos that will attract buyers.
- Show your products in different angles. This will help customers easily visualize how your product looks like. Even better, upload a video to show how an item works.
- Offer discounts and other enticing deals. You can join Lazada’s or Shopee’s promotional campaigns to boost your sales.
- Link your online seller account to your social networks. Doing so will enable you to share your product listings to an even wider audience.
- Provide nothing less than excellent customer service. This helps you gain customer trust and avoid dealing with dissatisfied, irate customers.
- Join training. Lazada and Shopee have their respective university where sellers can attend training courses. Make the most of these educational tools.
- Avoid making transactions outside the e-commerce platform to protect yourself against fake buyers and scammers.
As you can see, starting an online business through Lazada or Shopee shouldn’t be a complicated process. Get your entrepreneurial journey started! May your new business prosper and help you achieve your financial goals.
The post Make Money Online: How to be a Shopee or Lazada Online Seller appeared first on Moneymax.