Mother blames childcare centre after son chokes to death – Bernama

Cafe worker slashed by sword-wielding motorcyclist – Bernama

A mother today claimed that a childcare centre in Austin Perdana in Johor Baru failed to apply emergency procedure on her 7-year-old son who choked on his breakfast of "cekodok pisang" (fried banana dumplings), resulting in the child's death.

Ong Kai Yun, 32, said her son Kee Shao Ming died at Sultan Ismail Hospital (HSI) in the state capital city after he vomited and became unconscious at the childcare centre.

"I received a phone call at about 8am from a staff at the childcare centre informing me that my son had vomited and became unconscious. The staff then sent him to HSI.

"At about 8pm, after 12 hours under treatment, my son was confirmed by the doctor to have died from being choked on 'cekodok pisang', the breakfast that I packed for him that day," Ong told reporters when met at her house in Taman Setia Indah, Johor Baru, today.

Ong said she was disappointed with the staff at the childcare centre for not informing the hospital that her son was eating his breakfast just before the incident happened.

Ong and her husband, Kee Yong Wen, 43, only knew that their son had choked on food when informed by the hospital.

Ong said she had lodged a report at the Setia Indah police station on the incident and hoped the childcare centre would explain its lack of safety care.

She said she started sending her son and 8-year-old daughter to the childcare centre last December and the two were only there in the morning before going to school at Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina (SJKC) Foon Yew 5, in the afternoon.

Johor Baru district police chief, ACP Sulaiman Salleh, when contacted, confirmed having received a report on the case which had been classified as sudden death. – Bernama, March 8, 2015.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting