Swiss Moto3 rider Jason Dupasquier, victim of a horrific crash in qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello, has "severe brain damage", the hospital treating him said Sunday.
The 19-year-old underwent chest surgery overnight "for a vascular lesion. Severe brain damage persists. He remains in intensive care in a very serious condition," a spokesman for the Careggi hospital told AFP, without releasing any further details.
His team, Pruestel GP, pulled out of Sunday's race following the accident.
"PruestalGP decided not to race today in the #italianGP. The situation of @jasondupasquier50 is still critical and all our thoughts are with him," they posted on Facebook.
"Keep fighting Jason," they said.
Tom Luthi, who races in Moto2, also withdrew from Sunday's grand prix to be close to Dupasquier's family at the hospital, his team SAG Racing announced.
Dupasquier fell and was struck by another bike, before sliding along the track, during Saturday qualifying. Doctors rushed to the scene and after attending to him for 40 minutes on the circuit had him airlifted to hospital.
Japanese rider Ayumu Sasaki and Spaniard Jeremy Alcoba were the others involved in the accident which delayed the MotoGP fourth practice. Organisers reported that both were "fine".
Alcoba went on to qualify sixth fastest for the race. Sasaki was 10th.
The MotoGP championship leader Fabio Quartararo dedicated his pole-clinching qualifying lap to Dupasquier on Saturday.
"I hope he's OK. I'm praying for him and I'm praying for his family," said Yamaha's French rider.
Dupasquier, whose father Philippe was a former motocross rider, is in his second season in Moto3.
He broke his left femur in 2018, forcing him to miss that season's Red Bull Rookies Cup.
Racing for his German team he finished his rookie Moto3 campaign last year pointless in 28th in the overall standings.
After five races in 2021 he is placed 10th with 27 points.