National security law: Hong Kong court remands 3 more suspects in custody over alleged terrorist bomb plot

·2-min read

Three more Hongkongers charged under the national security law over an alleged terrorist plot to bomb the city’s streets, courts and transport networks have been remanded in custody to await trial.

Chief Magistrate Victor So Wai-tak on Wednesday rejected bail applications from Chan Hoi-leong, 24, and a 15-year-old student, who cannot be named for legal reasons, during their first appearance at West Kowloon Court.

A third defendant, student Kwok Man-hei, 18, was absent for the morning’s proceedings, with the court hearing she was unwell and at a hospital in Tsuen Wan.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

Upon being discharged, Kwok appeared before So in the afternoon, with her lawyers revealing that she had been diagnosed with depression and was thinking about self-harm.

She did not apply for bail, and was also remanded in custody.

3 Hong Kong teenagers among 5 arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences

Following a defence request, the magistrate asked the Correctional Services Department to provide her with assistance and treatment.

The trio face a joint count of conspiracy to commit terrorist activities. The charge covers organising, planning, participating in or threatening acts intended to cause “grave harm” to society, namely explosions, arson, sabotage or “other dangerous activities which seriously jeopardised public health, safety or security”.

Prosecutors said the conspiracy, which allegedly unfolded between June 6 and July 5, was aimed at coercing Beijing or the local government, or intimidating the public, to pursue the group’s political agenda.

Three co-conspirators identified on the charge sheet – Ho Yu-wang, 17, Alexander Au, 19, and another 15-year-old – were remanded by the court last week on the same charges.

Legal action against student union members could be next after HKU cuts ties

None of the defendants were required to enter a plea, as prosecutors said they needed more time for investigation.

The case was adjourned until September 1, as requested by the prosecution.

Police have arrested 14 people so far in connection with the alleged terrorist plot by a pro-independence group known as “Returning Valiant”.

The first group of nine included six secondary school pupils and a staff member at Baptist University suspected of funding the plot; while the second group comprised three students, a property manager and a construction worker.

To date, six of them have been charged and remanded in custody. The rest were released on bail.

This article National security law: Hong Kong court remands 3 more suspects in custody over alleged terrorist bomb plot first appeared on South China Morning Post

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting