KUALA LUMPUR, March 13 — Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said today he is ready to debate Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad in Padang Rengas, and that a hall has been booked for the event.
The Tourism and Culture minister said he has already booked MRSM Sultan Azlan Shah in Perak for the debate between him and the Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) chairman which is to be held on March 25 at 3pm.
“I have offered a hall at 3pm on the 25th, the new Millennium hall in Padang Rengas. Remember, he challenged me, not I challenged him,” Nazri said during a press conference at the Parliament lobby today.
The Umno Supreme Council member stressed that he has placed no conditions for the debate as it will be a no holds barred affair between him and Dr Mahathir.
Nazri also explained that he had only challenged Dr Mahathir to contest in his constituency for the upcoming general elections as the veteran politician had singled him out when it came to defending Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
“Don’t waste your time, might as well put it as your campaign. Contest in my seat if you want,” he said.
Nazri also said he will continue to retain the Padang Rengas seat as long as Barisan Nasional (BN) wants him there.
“As long as the party wants me, I will be available. For national duty, you can’t say no.
“If the country needs you, you go. Never say no to our motherland Malaysia,” he stressed.
Dr Mahathir last week had challenged Nazri to a debate on current issues including 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) and the Bumiputera Malaysia Finance (BMF) scandal while he visits Padang Rengas on a nationwide tour for PPBM.