New owner to use S$39m Sentosa bungalow as ‘weekend retreat’

Remember Dr Susan Lim’s bungalow at Sentosa Cove which sold for a record S$39 million last month?

Well, the new owner plans to use it only as a weekend retreat.

The buyer was earlier revealed to be Shael Oswal, a 33-year-old Indian citizen in the mining business who moved to Singapore in late 2009 and stays around Grange Road.

In an interview with Indian tabloid Tabla!, Oswal, a father of two, said it would be tedious for his children to travel to school from Sentosa every morning. His nine-year-old daughter and seven-year-old son are students of Tanglin Trust School.

"It is an investment for weekends,” he reasoned. “I can take the children to Sentosa and when we get tired we can stay there."

When asked if he plans to buy a yacht next, Oswal jokingly told the tabloid he will have to leave that for another time as “already this is a huge investment”.

His mother and wife took up the property search after he decided they needed a place for weekend getaways.

"They saw a few in Sentosa but this one is in a very beautiful location. The sea view is great," Oswal said, before adding that some renovation still needs to be done. He has since entrusted the work to an Italian firm and is waiting for his new house at Cole Drive to be ready in three months.

The hefty price tag for the 99-year leasehold property works out to S$2,448 psf for a land area of 15,929 sq ft. The bungalow reportedly features a spacious living area, five bedrooms and an entertainment room.

Earlier this year, Property Guru reported that the seafront property had previously belonged to Citi Private Bank chairman Deepak Sharma and his well-known surgeon wife Susan Lim, who is currently embroiled in a legal dispute with the Singapore Medical Council. The couple married in 2010.

Prior to becoming a Singapore citizen, Sharma was an Indian national.

Sentosa Cove is the only place in Singapore where non-PR foreigners are allowed to buy landed homes.

  • 2015 Dodge Charger goes under the knife 1 hour 14 minutes ago
    2015 Dodge Charger goes under the knife

    Over the past decade, Chrysler's rear-wheel-drive sedans have managed to survive a bankruptcy and three different corporate overlords. Thanks to the original stoutness of the Mercedes-assisted chassis, and the periodic updates that keep them from seeming like 21st-century versions of the Ford Crown Victoria, the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger combo still draw in fans. Today, Dodge revealed yet another redesign for the 2015 Charger — and for an old car, it's quite the change.

  • Thursday #sgroundup: Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers 1 hour 15 minutes ago
    Thursday #sgroundup: Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers

    Here are the top trending stories of today in case you missed them:

  • 2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd 15 hours ago
    2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd

    Nissan says its 2015 Murano crossover, only the second major revamp of the car since it debuted in 2003, draws its design cues from the “age of future space flight.” That’s probably taking it a little far, but the new Murano, based off the 2013 Resonance concept vehicle, is an exceptionally lovely machine, all fluid, curved metal on the outside, and flowing, soft-touch materials on the inside. Certain kinds of comfort and charms that were unheard-of outside of premium vehicles five years ago have definitely trickled down, and reached a kind of design apotheosis with this car.

  • ‘Huge’ Hindu, Buddhist statues against Islam, ex-judge says
    ‘Huge’ Hindu, Buddhist statues against Islam, ex-judge says

    KUALA LUMPUR, April 16 — The “huge” statues at a Hindu temple in Batu Caves and Buddhist temple in Penang are an affront to Islam as the religion forbids idolatry, a retired Court of Appeals judge...

  • Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes
    Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes

    By Narae Kim JINDO South Korea (Reuters) - More than 280 people, many of them students from the same high school, were missing after a ferry capsized off South Korea on Wednesday, in what could be the country's biggest maritime disaster in over 20 years. It was not immediately clear why the Sewol ferry listed heavily on to its side and capsized in apparently calm conditions off South Korea's southwest coast, but some survivors spoke of a loud noise prior to the disaster.

  • StarHub 4G users to be charged from June as promo ends
    StarHub 4G users to be charged from June as promo ends

    Are you on the 4G or LTE mobile data network under StarHub? If so, you’ll have to start paying for the service.