MANILA — The New Peoples Army in Matanao, Davao Del Sur released Sgt. Solaiman Calucop and Private First Class Samuel Garay to show the NPA’s sincerity in the ongoing peace talks.
It has been two months since Sgt. Calucop and Pfc. Garay were abducted in Barangay Telafas, Columbio, Sultan Kudarat on February 2.
The CPP-NDF (Communist Party of the Philippines- National Democratic Front) turned over the two released captives to the local government of Davao Del Sur.
However, the NDF blames the government forces for the delay in the captive’s release.
“This had been delayed because of the AFP and the PNP. They did not meet the demand of the NDF and of a third-party facilitator to suspend the offensive military operations and the police operations for the proper release of the two captives,” CPP NDF Spokesperson Macario Dilaab said.
However the military still insists that the abduction of the two soldiers was a treacherous act by the NPA.
For now, the NPA still holds captive PO2 Jerome Anthony Natividad and Private First Class Edwin Salan.
Meanwhile, the number of rebel group members that surrendered in the areas within the 10th Infantry Division of the Philippine Army has reached 78.
Among those who recently surrendered is 18-year-old known as alias “Junjun”, who is said to be a squad leader of Pulang Bagani 4.
He was only 15 years old when the NPA recruited him in 2013.
“They did not properly talk to me. They said they would send me to school. It is only now that I realized they were deceiving me,” Junjun said.
The Philippine Army assured to assist rebel surrenderers. —Victor Cosare | UNTV News & Rescue