Oscar-winning British film director Danny Boyle has exited the 25th James Bond movie over "creative differences," the official 007 website announced on Tuesday.
"Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25," the site said, referencing the producers and star of the long-running British spy movie franchise.
The film is due for release on October 25 next year in Britain, with Universal handling the international distribution. MGM and EON Productions plan to release it in the US on November 8, 2019.
It was not immediately clear whether Boyle's exit would delay the production, with filming expected to begin in December.
Boyle was beginning the casting process, Variety magazine reported, for new Bond girl and villain.
There was no announcement on Boyle's replacement but the producers were said to be interested in admired Scottish director David Mackenzie ("Hell or High Water") and Denis Villeneuve ("Blade Runner 2049") before the "Trainspotting" and "Slumdog Millionaire" director was hired.
Craig is due to return for a fifth appearance as the legendary British spy for the 25th as yet untitled film in the storied 007 franchise.
Boyle, 61, who won an Academy Award in 2009 for "Slumdog Millionaire," was due to partner again with screenwriter John Hodge on the new movie.
The pair worked together on two "Trainspotting" movies, in 1996 and 2017, and "The Beach," starring Leonardo di Caprio.
Boyle, who also directed 2015's "Steve Jobs" and "28 Days Later" in 2002, had previously said he was working on "a great idea" for a James Bond script but was unsure if it would be made.
The film is expected to be Craig's last time playing the spy, having previously starred in "Casino Royale", "Quantum of Solace", "Skyfall" and "Spectre".