Parliament to remember missing MH370 in meeting next week, transport minister says

BY KAMLES KUMAR
Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai speaking at the Day of Remembrance for MH370 organised by the kin of the missing 239 people on board the Malaysia Airlines plane at Publika, in Kuala Lumpur, March 4, 2017. — Picture by Kamles Kumar

KUALA LUMPUR, March 4 — The Dewan Rakyat will hold a special session at its first meeting this year to commemorate the third anniversary of the missing Flight MH370, Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said today.

The transport minister added that the special session will be held next Wednesday to remember the tragedy.

“The Malaysian government will issue a statement to be read out during Parliament on March 8 and a special session is to be held to remember the MH370 tragedy,” he said in his speech at the Day of Remembrance for MH370 organised by the kin of the missing 239 people on board the Malaysia Airlines plane at Publika here.

He also thanked the organisers who collectively call themselves Voice370 for inviting him to their remembrance gathering.

He added the creation of a multi-ministry special response committee to coordinate all matters relating the MH370 now that the search has been suspended.

The team will be led by Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) Director-General Datuk Sri Azharuddin Abdul Rahman and involve officials from the Transport Ministry, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Communication and Multimedia, Liow said.

He also clarified that two investigation teams were still probing the incident separately and one of them would be releasing an interim statement on March 8 to update the families.

The Malaysian ICAO Annex 13 Safety Investigation Team for MH370 is in charge of the technical probe behind the mishap and there is the criminal infestation by the police, Liow said.

“The technical investigation team is led by Datuk Kok Soo Chon and he is joined by seven accredited representatives from seven International Air Accident and Investigation Organisations from UK, US, Australia, China, Singapore, France and Indonesia,” he said.

He added that the team is independent and transparent and will be releasing a third interim statement on March 8 to update the MH370 next-of-kin and the public on the progress of their investigations to date.

Liow announced in January that the search operation for MAS Airlines Flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean had been suspended after three years since the plane went missing on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.