NBA Fearless Forecast Weekly Rank: 5
NBA Fearless Forecast Weekly Rank: 5
A court in China has upheld a suspended death sentence for a man who abducted a person with Down’s syndrome so his body could be sold and substituted for another body due to be cremated to circumvent a government ban on burials. The convicted man, identified by his surname Huang, sold the murdered man’s body to a wealthy family in 2017 in Lufeng, Guangdong province, who did not want to cremate a deceased relative and offered to buy a corpse to use as a substitute, according to the case verdict from Guangdong Higher People’s Court. The deceased man whose family wanted a traditional burial, also surnamed Huang, died from cancer in February, 2017, and told his family before he died that he wished to be buried, according to the verdict.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. The victim, a man called Lin Shaoren who was then 36 and had Down’s syndrome, was picking rubbish along the road on March 1, 2017, near his home in Lufeng when Huang abducted him and made him drink a large volume of liquor. He then placed the unconscious Lin into a coffin prepared in advance and sealed it with four steel nails, Huang told the court. The coffin was carried to a crossroad and swapped with the other Huang’s coffin two days later when the family was due to send it to the funeral home. Lin’s body was sent for cremation, while Huang’s body was secretly taken to a secluded area for a traditional burial. The family paid a total of 107,000 yuan (US$16,345), of which 90,000 yuan went to Huang, the convicted murderer, while the rest went to a middleman surnamed Wen. Lin was listed as a missing person by local police for two years before his family discovered he had been murdered in November, 2019, after police used surveillance footage to solve the crime, Sohu News reported. Cemetery in China forced to bury controversial mortgages-for-graves plan after backlash The case, which gained public attention last week after local media picked up the story, reveals the lengths some Chinese families will go to to get around government efforts to promote cremation and eliminate traditional graveyard burials. Local authorities in China have been pushing for cremation to save land for other uses and because it is seen as more environmentally friendly, but traditional grave burial remains popular amid traditional beliefs this is the only way the dead will be at peace. The most recent figures available for deaths from 2019 show only about 52 per cent of those who died, or over 5 million corpses, were cremated that year, according to the Ministry of Civil Affairs. Huang was given a suspended death sentence by a court in Shanwei in September 2020. He appealed to the Guangdong Higher People’s Court but this was dismissed in December last year. According to the Guangdong province’s regulation on cremation, funeral homes should appoint specific staff to register corpses and double-check their identities before cremation. However, mix-ups with dead bodies are not uncommon at funeral homes in China. A woman in Henan province was shocked to find out that the body of her father, who died in his 50s, was mistaken and cremated as another man in his 70s in September, the Henan Business Daily reported. Searches China Judgements Online reveal more than 200 verdicts since 2012 for cases involving “trading corpses” and “stealing corpses”.This article Murderer kidnapped Chinese man to sell his body for cremation so another family could have a traditional burial first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
Lee Choo Phing faces 11 charges of cheating, attempting to obtain bribes, and insulting the modesty of women.
China’s People Liberation Army flew 25 warplanes into Taiwan’s air defence identification zone (ADIZ) on Monday, its largest incursion yet as tension in the Taiwan Strait continues to escalate. According to Taiwan’s defence ministry, the PLA warplanes – 14 Jian-16 fighter jets, four Jian-10s, four H-6K bombers, two Y-8 anti-submarine warfare planes and one KJ-500 airborne early warning and control aircraft – entered the island’s southwest zone on Monday. “[Taiwan’s] air force sent its air patrol force to shadow them, issued radio warnings and deployed missiles to monitor their movements,” the ministry said in a statement late Monday night. Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. It marked the largest incursion by PLA warplanes since Taiwan’s ministry made public last year the movements of PLA aircraft which flew into the AIDZ or across the maiden line that separates the narrow Taiwan Strait in training missions either off the island or over the disputed South China Sea. The latest flights came a day after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken warned Beijing against invading Taiwan, a self-ruled island of 24 million that the Chinese government regards as a breakaway province that must eventually be reunited with the mainland - by force if necessary. US-China military tensions build over Taiwan This month the aerial incursions have taken place on a daily basis, and the Liberty Times in Taipei estimated that they have occurred on at least 86 days this year; Monday was the 102nd day of 2021 so far. “What we’ve seen, and what is of real concern to us, is increasingly aggressive actions by the government in Beijing directed at Taiwan, raising tensions in the straits,” Blinken said in an interview Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press”. Blinken stressed that Washington has a long-standing commitment under the Taiwan Relations Act to ensure that the island “has the ability to defend itself” and to assure that the US sustains peace and security in the Western Pacific. “We stand behind those commitments,” he added. Blinken’s comments came as tensions escalated between Taiwan and the mainland, which has stepped up its military presence near the island, staging war games in addition to warplane flights into the ADIZ. PLA warplanes made a record 380 incursions into Taiwan airspace in 2020 On March 26, 20 PLA warplanes flew into the zone shortly after Taipei and Washington signed their first agreement under the administration of new president Joe Biden for coastguard cooperation. That followed Beijing’s enactment of a new law permitting its coastguard to fire on foreign ships. Beijing has repeatedly warned the US – which does not have formal ties with Taipei – against having official contacts with or supplying arms to the island. More from South China Morning Post:Taiwan says Chinese warplanes, US aircraft entered its air defence zoneTaiwan reports largest ever incursion by Chinese air forceThis article Taiwan says PLA flies 25 warplanes into its airspace, the largest incursion yet first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
As the world’s two biggest naval fleets engage in the Indo-Pacific region, China’s People’s Liberation Army can observe and learn from the United States Navy in adapting future tactical combined operations, according to defence analysts. They said the operators of China’s Type 075 amphibious assault vessels could examine the US deployment of an amphibious-ready group (ARG) to the South China Sea which was led by the USS Makin Island landing helicopter dock (LHD) and joined the USS Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group on April 9 for exercises. The USS Makin Island is a 40,000-tonne Wasp-class amphibious assault ship able to carry a detachment of Marine F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters. The LHD and two San Antonio-class landing platform dock (LPD) amphibious transport ships – the USS Somerset and USS San Diego – as well as several helicopter and assault craft units form the Makin Island ARG.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. “The displacement size and functions of the Wasp-class LHD are similar to the PLA’s Type 075 LHD, while the San Antonio-class transport docks are similar to China’s Type 071 landing platform docks (LPD),” Hong Kong-based military commentator Song Zhongping said. Beijing-based naval expert Li Jie said the PLA would learn from the experiences of its American counterpart in turning its LHD and LPD into mini-aircraft carrier strike groups, an effective cost-saving measure. “The US has studied how to operate their ARG in a more feasible and efficient way,” Li said. “For China, the key mission of their Type 075 and Type 071 will be defending the country’s territorial sovereignty in the East and South China seas, as well as overseas interests, meaning the ARG combination is a better option than aircraft carrier strike groups.” Macau-based military observer Antony Wong Tong said deploying both LHDs and LPDs indicated the US Navy’s capacity for tactical manoeuvres and joint cooperation on the high seas. “The combination of LHD and LPD is an integrated expeditionary strike group, which is worth the PLA learning from if they are going to better deploy their Type 075 and Type 071 amphibious warships,” Wong said. Philippines, US to start two-week joint military drills amid South China Sea tensions Beijing plans to own at least six aircraft carrier strike groups by 2035, but so far it just launched two. The third is expected to be completed later this year. China has launched three Type 075 LHDs, which were designed to each carry up to 30 attack helicopters and armoured vehicles, and eight smaller Type 071 LPDs with the displacement of 25,000 tonnes. The Type 075 is the world’s third largest amphibious assault vessel behind the USS Wasp and America classes. It is bigger than Japan’s Izumo class and France’s Mistral class. However, Song said that in addition to the amphibious ships, the most powerful weapon of the Makin Island ARG were the F-35B squadrons and detachments of multi-role helicopters suited to different types of sea warfare missions. “The most challenging problem of the PLA is a lack of new-generation fixed-wing carrier-based aircraft like the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter jets,” Song said. “The F-35B helps the USS Marines grab air supremacy in both ARG operations, making its function like that of the mini-carrier strike groups … that means the US Navy owns nearly 20 carrier strike groups around the world.” To solve the current shortcomings, Song suggested the PLA install a catapult on the deck of the Type 075 LHD to upgrade the platform and allow it to operate the country’s carrier-based J-15 fighter jet. The US navy was reported to have tested the idea of smaller carriers, which would reduce the range, speed and capacity of its US$13 billion nuclear-powered supercarriers known as CVNs, but cost half as much or even less, Forbes reported in December. The ARG operation could be seen as testing a mini-carrier option, an exercise China could learn from, Song and Li said. More from South China Morning Post:China’s military tracks US warship traversing Taiwan StraitChinese Type 055 destroyer joins aircraft carrier group for first timeChinese military: fourth aircraft carrier likely to be nuclear powered, sources sayUS navy warns China ‘we’re watching you’ as destroyer shadows Liaoning carrier groupChina-Philippines Whitsun Reef dispute could get worse as US chips inThis article South China Sea: Can PLA learn from US Navy tactics with mini-carrier strike group? first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
Dinner was served at 10pm and smelled like ‘cockroaches,’ bride says. This article, Malaysian bride faces legal threat after complaint about starving wedding guests, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company.
For a woman surnamed Wu, a mundane trip to a shopping centre resulted in her helping a man who had been tricked into forced labour ten years ago reunite with his long-lost family. Wu, who was from the same village in Guizhou in southern China, found the man, who was homeless at the time, at a local shopping centre in Kaili City, according to the Guizhou Metropolis News. “We were very young and we only heard the adults saying the man lost touch with his family after leaving home to work and they couldn’t find him anywhere,” said Wu. Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. The man, who shares the same surname and is named Wu Fangwen, had been tricked into forced labour by an illegal brickmaking factory when he left home a decade ago. He said the organisation took away his mobile phone and ID card, making it impossible to escape. Wu Fangwen was forced to make bricks for a decade and was treated terribly, eventually losing his memory because of ill health. Finally, a moment presented itself, and the man was able to run away in February. With no identification and in ill health, he was left to wander about until aid workers at the regional civil affairs office found him and guided him from Maoming, in Guangdong, to Kaili City, about 850km away. Unfortunately, the ordeal was not finished, as the man still could not get home from Kaili City for ten days until he randomly bumped into Wu, the woman who helped him get home. Wu, for her part, was doubtful that such a once-in-a-billion coincidence could exist, but she decided to take a chance: “I called his name in my home dialect and he immediately cried. I knew then I’d found him,” she said. The woman then began to ask Wu Fangwen where he had been, telling him his family had searched everywhere for the man, who now looked very thin and had a hunched back. “Your mother was always crying when she lost touch and she became ill,” she told him. The woman then contacted Wu Fangwen’s family, who cried upon hearing their long-lost family member had been discovered. “He cried after I told him that I would take him home. I am emotional too. I feel so distressed looking at him,” the woman said. Many on social media expressed their sympathy for the man and applauded the woman for her kindness. Pakistani victim of forced labour in Hong Kong loses Court of Final Appeal bid to create new human trafficking offence “What kind of life he must have been through for the past ten years… It’s very lucky that he met this kind woman,” one user on the Twitter-like platform Weibo said. “This woman was really clever to use the home dialect first to confirm. Her kindness should be rewarded,” another added. Incidents of captured labour in China are rare but not unprecedented. A court in Fangcheng county in Henan, a province in central China, sentenced four men to between seven and nine months in jail for forcing more than 20 mentally challenged people to work at a factory that makes kilns for about a year between 2006 and 2007, according to People’s Court Daily. The workers were trafficked from cities in Henan, beaten, locked in the factory and forced to work long hours before being reported and released in 2007.This article Man forced to work at illegal factory for a decade reunited with family after chance encounter at shopping centre first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
After being knocked down to the lower bracket, TNC proceeded to run through Galaxy Racer, Reckoning Esports, and BOOM Esports to force a rematch with OB.Neon in the best-of-three grand finals.
Hong Kong pro-democracy media tycoon Jimmy Lai has told his staff to "stand tall" in a handwritten letter from prison where he is being held pending trial under a new national security law.
Fresh protests broke out Monday night in Minneapolis despite a curfew implemented after a police officer fatally shot a young Black man when she appeared to confuse her handgun with her taser, fueling tensions in a US city already on edge because of the George Floyd murder trial.
The Bidens' rambunctious young dog Major is leaving the White House again, this time for extra schooling in how to behave more like a presidential canine.
Japan will release more than a million tonnes of treated water from the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant into the ocean, the government said Tuesday, triggering a furious reaction from China and fierce opposition from local fishing communities.
Multiple-time former ONE World Champion Eduard “Landslide” Folayang remains one of the top competitors in his division, despite a recent string of heartbreaking setbacks inside the Circle. As such, the Filipino mixed martial arts veteran is excited for the lightweight main event this week at “ONE on TNT II.” Reigning ONE Lightweight World Champion Christian … Continue reading "Eduard Folayang Breaks Down Christian Lee Vs. Timofey Nastyukhin Main Event At ‘ONE On TNT II’"
Russia and China are frustrating the international response to the Myanmar crisis, a top European Union diplomat said Sunday, as the death toll from a military crackdown climbed past 700.
15 new members include three formerly from the Malaysian Islamic Party. This article, ‘Islamic leaders’ join Anwar Ibrahim’s People’s Justice Party, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company.
The world’s eight richest people together hold fortunes of more than US$1 trillion and have added US$110 billion combined this year.
A 24-year-old Singaporean man, Nick Chong Seng Cheong, who sexually groomed a 13-year-old girl was jailed two years and 10 months on Monday (12 April).
Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson attempted to further cement his status as the Flyweight GOAT last Thursday, 8 April, when he challenged ONE Flyweight World Champion Adriano “Mikinho” Moraes in the main event of “ONE on TNT I.” Unfortunately for Johnson, Moraes stunned him with an uppercut and then a crushing knee to score the second-round KO win – the first … Continue reading "Demetrious Johnson Opens Up About World Title Loss: Moraes Had ‘A Great Performance’"
Iran charged Monday that its arch-enemy Israel was behind an attack on its Natanz uranium enrichment plant and vowed it would take "revenge" and ramp up its nuclear activities.
Chinese tech giant Huawei on Monday said it had reached an agreement with HSBC in Hong Kong to secure documents that its senior executive Meng Wanzhou hopes will help her fight extradition to the United States from Canada.
Instead of the usual water pistols, splashing and jubilant crowds during Myanmar's New Year festival of Thingyan, this year's holiday will see real guns, blood on the streets and grief over a democracy robbed.