Penang’s petition for local elections postponed again

By Opalyn Mok

GEORGE TOWN, June 5 — The Federal Court has again postponed to June 27 Penang’s application for leave for its petition to bring back local council elections.

The application for leave for the Federal Court to hear the state government and former Aliran president P.Ramakrishnan’s petition to declare that Penang has a right to hold local government elections was supposed to be heard on May 29 but Federal Court judge Hassan Lah postponed the hearing to next month.

Local government, traffic management and flood mitigation state executive councillor Chow Kon Yeow said the application for leave is the state’s last chance to reintroduce local elections.

“If the application for leave is denied, then there will be no more legal recourse for the state government to reinstate local government elections,” he said in a press conference earlier today.

He disagreed with Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Abdul Rahman Dahlan’s (picture) statement that local government elections are unnecessary and are not the best option for local councils.

Rahman had also said the current system was more than enough as the best candidates were picked and if they did not perform, they are replaced.

“The local government elections is to allow the voters of Penang to elect their local councillors,” Chow said.

He said the Penang state government will not be deterred by Rahman’s statement and that it will continue to fight for local council elections to be reinstated.

Malaysians used to elect their local councillors between 1951 and 1965 before the elections were suspended in 1965 because of the Indonesian Confrontation.

Chow said the then-prime minister Tunku Abdul Rahman had promised the Dewan Rakyat that local government elections would be restored once the Confrontation was over.

The Confrontation ended in 1966 but local government elections were not restored.

In March, the Penang state government and Ramakrishnan had filed an application for leave to petition the Federal Court to declare that the Penang state legislature has a right to hold local government elections in accordance with the Local Government Elections (Penang Isdland and Province Wellesley) Enactment 2012 which was passed by the state assembly in May last year.

On June 27, the Federal Court will hear the state government and Ramakrishnan’s application for leave to file the petition to challenge sections 10 and 15 of the Local Government Act 1976, which prevent the holding of local government elections.

If the court allows the application, the petition will then be heard before a Bench of the Federal Court on another date.

The Penang Pakatan Rakyat government has been taking steps to try to restore local government elections in the state to return the third vote to the people.

  • Wednesday #sgroundup: More than 300 people missing after South Korean ferry sinks - coastguard 2 hours 28 minutes ago
    Wednesday #sgroundup: More than 300 people missing after South Korean ferry sinks - coastguard

    Here are the top trending stories of the day in case you missed them:

  • 2015 Chevrolet Trax small SUV rolls back to America 14 hours ago
    2015 Chevrolet Trax small SUV rolls back to America

    For the past two years, car shoppers from Acapulco to Winnipeg could wander into their Chevy dealers and kick the tires on a city-sized sport utility vehicle named the Trax — and about 90,000 have done so. Today, Chevy revealed the version of the Trax it will bring to the United States, for those less well-heeled buyers who want the shape of an SUV without the window sticker they usually carry.

  • Ford Transit Skyliner concept revives the ultra-luxury van 16 hours ago
    Ford Transit Skyliner concept revives the ultra-luxury van

    “Once you do stand-up, you don’t want to go back.” No, we’re not talking about comedy, but rather an emerging trend in luxury transport that’s bringing us ever taller, more capacious, more pimpdillyicious limousines. The quote came from a Ford designer, Tim Stoehr, predicting an increase in interest in limos based on big vans like the new Transit. Of course, these are nothing new; up-fitters have taken quite kindly to the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, and apparently Ford is chomping at the bit to get in on the action, too. So Ford enlisted the help of the largest Ford dealer in the world, Galpin Auto Sports in Van Nuys, Calif., to help design and build its first super-lux Transit concept, dubbed the Skyliner.

  • Amazon to release smartphone later this year: report
    Amazon to release smartphone later this year: report

    Amazon is preparing to release a smartphone in the second half of 2014, thrusting itself into a market already crowded with Apple and Samsung models, The Wall Street Journal reported. The company aims to announce its new product by the end of June and ship to customers by the end of September in time for the holidays, the Journal said in a Friday report, citing unnamed people briefed on the matter. Amazon, it said, hopes to differentiate its phone from other models with a screen that displays hologram-like three-dimensional images, which can be viewed without special glasses. Earlier this month the retailer unveiled a new media streaming device, Amazon Fire TV, which it touted as simplifying the experience of watching video online.

  • Supermodel Qi Qi is afraid of flying
    Supermodel Qi Qi is afraid of flying

    The supermodel said that she will take her daughter in a vacation but will try to avoid boarding a plane

  • One dead as S. Korea ferry with 476 passengers sinks
    One dead as S. Korea ferry with 476 passengers sinks

    South Korea's coastguard said Wednesday one person had been killed as it struggled to rescue 476 people -- mostly high school students -- aboard a ferry that ran aground and sank off the southern coast. "The ferry is almost completely submerged," Lee said, adding that a detachment of South Korean Navy SEALS were taking part in the rescue. Of the 450 passengers on board the ferry bound for the southern resort island of Jeju, 325 were students from a high school in Ansan, south of Seoul. The 6,825-tonne ferry, which had sailed out of the western port of Incheon on Tuesday evening, ran into trouble some 20 kilometres (13 miles) off the island of Byungpoong.