Pistorius ad campaign pulled as Nike says 'no comment'

Global sports giant Nike refused to comment Thursday on its sponsorship of murder suspect Oscar Pistorius, as an advertising campaign starring the South African Olympian was pulled from local television.

A South African pay television channel which broadcasts across the continent announced it had canned a campaign featuring the runner.

Pistorius was charged with shooting dead his girlfriend on Thursday.

"Out of respect and sympathy to the bereaved, M-Net will be pulling its entire Oscar campaign featuring Oscar Pistorius with immediate effect," M-Net Movies said in a tweet.

But Pistorius's sponsor Nike was tight-lipped about the impact of the killing at the Paralympian champion's Pretoria home.

"We're not commenting on our sponsorship or relationship," Nike South Africa spokeswoman Seruscka Naidoo told AFP.

"At this moment, it's a matter that's being investigated. We're not speaking about the sponsorship," she added, saying there was an "issue at hand here which is much bigger than a sponsorship."

An advert for Nike that showed Pistorius setting off from the starting blocks with the line "I am the bullet in the chamber" has been removed from the runner's personal website.

Naidoo said she was aware that the advert had been removed but said: "It's Oscar's website, it's not a Nike-owned website."

"We're obviously extending our sympathies and condolences to all the families concerned. It's a very tragic incident and it's a police matter right now that is under investigation," said Naidoo.

Seen as an inspirational athlete worldwide, the artificial-leg wearing Pistorius is linked to several corporate giants and has also modeled for a Thierry Mugler fragrance campaign.

The canned television ad campaign also featured on billboards to promote latest Hollywood movies shown by the station includes a line: "Every Night Is Oscar Night".

It shows the athlete holding a replica of an Oscar Award.

M-Net is carried on satellite service DSTV which broadcasts throughout Africa.

  • 2015 Dodge Charger goes under the knife 1 hour 12 minutes ago
    2015 Dodge Charger goes under the knife

    Over the past decade, Chrysler's rear-wheel-drive sedans have managed to survive a bankruptcy and three different corporate overlords. Thanks to the original stoutness of the Mercedes-assisted chassis, and the periodic updates that keep them from seeming like 21st-century versions of the Ford Crown Victoria, the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger combo still draw in fans. Today, Dodge revealed yet another redesign for the 2015 Charger — and for an old car, it's quite the change.

  • Thursday #sgroundup: Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers 1 hour 12 minutes ago
    Thursday #sgroundup: Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers

    Here are the top trending stories of today in case you missed them:

  • 2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd 15 hours ago
    2015 Nissan Murano aims for the style-forward crowd

    Nissan says its 2015 Murano crossover, only the second major revamp of the car since it debuted in 2003, draws its design cues from the “age of future space flight.” That’s probably taking it a little far, but the new Murano, based off the 2013 Resonance concept vehicle, is an exceptionally lovely machine, all fluid, curved metal on the outside, and flowing, soft-touch materials on the inside. Certain kinds of comfort and charms that were unheard-of outside of premium vehicles five years ago have definitely trickled down, and reached a kind of design apotheosis with this car.

  • ‘Huge’ Hindu, Buddhist statues against Islam, ex-judge says
    ‘Huge’ Hindu, Buddhist statues against Islam, ex-judge says

    KUALA LUMPUR, April 16 — The “huge” statues at a Hindu temple in Batu Caves and Buddhist temple in Penang are an affront to Islam as the religion forbids idolatry, a retired Court of Appeals judge...

  • Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes
    Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes

    By Narae Kim JINDO South Korea (Reuters) - More than 280 people, many of them students from the same high school, were missing after a ferry capsized off South Korea on Wednesday, in what could be the country's biggest maritime disaster in over 20 years. It was not immediately clear why the Sewol ferry listed heavily on to its side and capsized in apparently calm conditions off South Korea's southwest coast, but some survivors spoke of a loud noise prior to the disaster.

  • StarHub 4G users to be charged from June as promo ends
    StarHub 4G users to be charged from June as promo ends

    Are you on the 4G or LTE mobile data network under StarHub? If so, you’ll have to start paying for the service.