A viral video clip showing a teenage Hong Kong schoolboy being slapped, kicked and forced to kneel on the floor in a classroom has led police to arrest four students on suspicion of assault.
The beating took place at Caritas St Joseph Secondary School off Fung Shue Wo Road in Tsing Yi on May 27.
In the eight-second video, the 13-year-old boy in school uniform is seen being slapped by at least three students and kicked from behind two times.
Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.
The clip shows the victim kneeling on the floor, bowing in front of the other students. He is also seen holding his hands together in an apparent gesture of submission as the others surround him.
The Form One student did not call police, seek help from teachers or tell his parents of the assault, according to police.
The case came to light, however, when the school discovered the video on a social media platform last Thursday and made a report to authorities.
Expressing grave concern over the incident, the school said in a statement posted on its website that it would “not allow and tolerate any kind of bullying”.
The school said it would be inappropriate to give further information as police were following up on the case, but it promised to handle the incident strictly.
A police source said a preliminary investigation indicated the victim was assaulted for allegedly trying to date a female student.
Officers from the Kwai Tsing criminal investigation unit are handling the case.
Police said the 13-year-old schoolboy suffered minor injuries in the incident, but he did not require medical treatment in hospital.
Between Saturday and Monday, four students from the same school – three girls and a boy aged between 14 and 15 – were arrested in connection with the incident. One of the girls is a Form Two student and the others are from Form One.
A police spokesman said the four suspects had been released on bail pending further investigation. They are required to report back to police later this month.
The Education Bureau said it was following up the incident with the school and would provide all necessary support.
More from South China Morning Post: