KUALA LUMPUR: Police are in the final stages of their raid on residences owned by Datuk Seri Najib Razak as they attempt to break into a decades old safe found in his Jalan Langgak Duta home.
Simultaneous raids on other residences were completed last night, but the search at Najib’s main residence in the Duta area have been held up as efforts to break into the safe found on the first floor have so far been ineffective.
Najib’s lawyer Datuk Harpal Singh Grewal said the key to the safe had long been lost, forcing police to have to drill open the safe to see what was in it.
“Several policemen have been trying to break into the safe since 8.30am but it hasn’t been opened for 20 years as the key has long been lost. They are trying to drill open the safe and the noise from the process is causing a lot of disturbance to the family,” he told reporters.
A police truck seen leaving the residence of Datuk Seri Najib Razak at Jalan Langgak Duta. Pic by MOHD YUSNI ARIFFIN
Harpal said the length of time police are taking, having begun the raid at 10.15pm Wednesday night, had also disturbed the family’s first day of puasa.
“Besides that, the presence of 50 to 60 policemen has created stress for the family and disturbed their sleep. As of now, not a single document has been taken away... only a few boxes containing handbags, clothes and some personal items,” he said.
The police team had arrived around 10.15pm, in more than 15 vehicles, including a truck.
Simultaneous raids were also carried out at three apartments belonging to the members of the family at the Pavilion Residences in Bukit Bintang.
Federal Commercial Crime Investigation Department director Datuk Seri Amar Singh had confirmed the raids but did not elaborate as to what it was related to.
He would only say that a search for documents and other evidence was being conducted.--Report by Safeek Affendy Razali, Nor Azizah Mokhtar, Kalbana Perimbanayagam, Mohd Hasbi Sidek and Nurul Hidayah Bahaudin © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd