The police will hold a procedural review whether to allow an adult to be present when they interview a young person, following the death of a 14-year-old student under investigation for outrage of modesty.
Benjamin Lim was found dead beneath Blk 316A Yishun Ave 9 last Tuesday afternoon (26 January). Earlier that day, he was brought into the police’s Ang Mo Kio Division to assist with investigations into the alleged offence reported on 25 January.
In a statement on Monday night (1 February), the police said Benjamin’s passing was “tragic” and have expressed their deepest condolences to the family.
The police “have met the family to address their questions on the case and provide clarifications on the actions of the Police officers during their interaction with Benjamin,” the statement said. They will “review and address” their interview procedures.
In a previous statement last Wednesday (27 January), the police said that throughout their interaction with Benjamin, he “did not exhibit any signs of being unduly distressed”.
The police also gave more details on the investigations into the alleged offence in their latest statement.
Police officers went in plainclothes and in unmarked cars to conduct enquires at a school to keep investigations discreet. Based on CCTV footage, Benjamin was identified and he was brought to the principal’s office by a school official and was spoken with in the presence of a police officer.
Before he was brought back to Ang Mo Kio Division, he contacted his mother to inform her about the investigations. The police officer also spoke to her.
While Benjamin was at Ang Mo Kio Division, he was interviewed by an investigation officer at his workstation in an open office, and was fully cooperative during the interview. He was then released on bail and went back with his mother.
Police investigations into his death have not been completed. A Coroner’s Inquiry will be held after the investigations are concluded.