- NOAA predicts an 85% change of an above-active season.
- An average season sees 12 named storms and 6 hurricanes
We've been through a lot this year, but experts at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, say we shouldn't expect a reprieve from the weather. We've already seen nine named storms so far this year. According to the August 6 NOAA press release, "Historically, only two named storms form on average by early August, and the ninth named storm typically does not form until October 4." The organization updated their hurricane season predictions on August 6 for the season that officially runs June 1 through November 30. “This is one of the most active seasonal forecasts that NOAA has produced in its 22-year history of hurricane outlooks," says U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross.
The 2019 hurricane season was the fourth consecutive season with more storms than average. We saw 18 named storms, 6 of which reached hurricane status. The 2020 outlook forecasts a 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 5% chance of a below-normal season.
For 2020, NOAA predicts a likelihood of 19 to 25 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 7 to 11 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.
Now is the time to review your hurricane preparedness plan, according to the National Weather Service. Take the time now to assess your disaster kit, which should include basic items like food, water, clothing, batteries, and flashlights, make sure your insurance documents are in order, and check to see if you're in a hurricane evacuation zone. It's crucial to make these preparations now instead of waiting until you're in the path of a storm.
2020 Atlantic Hurricane Names
Here's the list of storm names for this year. (Yes, there could be a Hurricane Nana.)
You Might Also Like