Primary school student knocked down by motorist near SJCK Sungai Nibong

Mohamed Basyir

GEORGE TOWN: Yet another incident of a pedestrian being knocked down by a motorist was caught on camera and went viral on social media today.

This time it involved a female primary school student who was crossing the road, using a zebra crossing, when the pedestrian light turned green, in front of SJKC Kwang Hwa Sungai Nibong. She was accompanied by her mother.

According to the timestamp on the 23-second closed circuit television camera footage, the incident reportedly took place about 6.49pm on Tuesday.

In the video, several cars on the left lane had stopped to give way to pedestrians to cross the road when the lights for them turned red.

However, a black Perodua Alza, which was on the right lane, went straight through without stopping.

The panic-stricken student could only stand helplessly as the speeding car slammed into her, and she was thrown a metre away in front of the vehicle.

The mother picked up her child and later stormed to question the driver, followed by other people in the area.

Blurred images of the female driver with few other passengers also went viral on social media.

NSTP contacted northeast district police chief Assistant Commissioner Che Zaimani Che Awang for comments and is awaiting reply.

A similar incident had occurred on Sept 25 last year at the same spot, where a motorcyclist knocked down a woman who was crossing the road.

The motorcyclist stopped for a brief moment to check on her condition before speeding off.

The woman then got up, put on her sandals and continued walking across the road.

On April 6 last year, a 58-year-old woman, who was captured on camera being knocked down by a speeding motorcycle, succumbed to her injuries several hours after seeking treatment at the Penang Hospital.

The 1.20pm incident happened while Foo Swee Wah was crossing the busy Jalan Burma here.

A 12-second video footage released by police showed Foo walking along the zebra crossing when the pedestrian light turned green.

Three seconds later, a motorcycle slammed into her, dropping a motorcycle helmet in the process.

Foo fell to the ground and a loud scream was heard. She was immediately rushed to the Penang Hospital for treatment but succumbed to severe injuries. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd