Race against time for Musa Aman

Avila Geraldine

KOTA KINABALU: Ex-Sabah chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman has 15 days to take his oath as Sungai Sibuga assemblyman before the house speaker here.

At the moment, it remains unknown when Musa is expected to return to the state capital. His close aides have been tight-lipped oved the matter, including on his general health condition.

What is for sure is Musa will have until Sept 11 to take oath and if he fails to do so, the former Barisan Nasional (BN) chairman will lose his Sungai Sibuga seat and a by-election will have to be called for.

When contacted today, his counsel Amer Hamzah could only confirm Musa is still at a hospital.

“I can only say Tan Sri Musa is still being monitored. I’m not in the position to say when he will be discharged (from the hospital) or when he is expected to return (to Sabah),” he said without commenting further.

The police are also expected to submit an investigation paper to the Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) today, on the case of alleged criminal intimidation by Musa against the Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Juhar Mahiruddin.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun, had on Friday, gave assurance that investigation against the former chief minister would be in accordance with the law.

As at noon, attempts to get Fuzi with regards on updates pertaining to the investigation paper and whether Musa has been referred to a government doctor were futile.

Recently, Deputy Home Minister Datuk Mohd Azis Jamman said Musa needed to go through the police standard operating procedures when undergoing treatment in Kuala Lumpur.

He was quoted by news portals as saying that the police’s standard operating procedures required Musa to get treatment at a government hospital as confirmation of his medical condition, for the purpose of investigation.

Musa’s health, stressed Azis, should be assessed by a government doctor and not a private doctor.

After the 14th general election (GE14), Musa left the country shortly after Parti Warisan Sabah president Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal was sworn-in as Sabah Chief Minister before Juhar on May 12 and took over the initially Musa-led government.

Musa’s sudden disappearance and unknown whereabouts became talk of the town.

However, Musa later cleared the air, explaining he was seeking medical treatment in the United Kingdom. He did not elaborate on his health condition.

On Aug 21, Musa returned to Malaysia but was immediately warded at a private hospital in Subang Jaya. He was also unable to turn up at the Sabah State Legislative Assembly on Aug 24 to take his oath as Sungai Sibuga assemblyman as scheduled.

State Deputy Speaker Datuk Ahmad Abdul Rahman said they had yet to fix a date for the next oath-taking ceremony, stressing Musa has until Sept 11 to do so. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd