Rafizi to PH leaders: Stop focusing on BN's transgressions

Rohaniza Idris and Syed Umar Ariff

KUALA LUMPUR: PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli has advised ministers and Pakatan Harapan (PH) lawmakers to stop placing too much focus on attacking and exposing the alleged transgressions of the previous Barisan Nasional (BN) government.

He said they should do more to fulfill the promises made in PH’s 14th General Election (GE14) manifesto or risk losing support from the people.

“I understand that the ministers and PH backbenchers in the Dewan Rakyat are annoyed with the attitude of BN lawmakers who act as if they are innocent and have nothing to do with the problems left by their government,” he told the New Straits Times.

“And, that leads to criticisms, quips, sarcastic remarks, attacks and various kinds of expose.

“If you want to criticise, let it only take up 20 per cent (of your time). The remaining 80 per cent should be focused on executing plans (for the people).

“I am sure the people understand that many of the previous government’s legacies have to be resolved by the current government and we need to give them time to do so.

“But, if the people view the government as doing nothing else but focusing on exposing and attacking the opposition, then the people’s patience will wear out.”

The former Pandan member of parliament (MP), who is contesting the post of party deputy president, said he had voiced his concerns to the party leadership and added that the government should focus on matters such as reducing fuel prices and strengthening the economy.

“Let the opposition carry out its job. We need a good opposition to criticise and evaluate the government’s performance.”

Rafizi said his criticism might be met with disapproval but it was done in hopes that such a culture, which was nurtured by the previous government, would not persist.

He said BN had been too engrossed in jostling for position and had neglected its responsibility to serve the people.

Rafizi also urged MPs to refrain from mocking opposition members during debates at the Dewan Rakyat, and referred to the antics of Jelutong MP RSN Rayer as an example.

“I disapprove of the actions of the Jelutong lawmaker, who tends to mock and repeatedly link (former prime minister Datuk Seri) Najib (Razak) with 1MDB (during debates).

“I think enough is enough. Najib has already been charged at the court. BN has already been punished in its defeat at the polls.

“Not all of the BN leadership were involved in the issue of 1MDB. These BN MPs were not in cabinet and, of course, they were not involved (with 1MDB). They had already been punished when BN lost the election. Just give them space to be a good opposition.” © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd