Mercedes dominated both practice sessions on Friday but much of the talk around the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix was focused on Racing Point.
Valtteri Bottas went quickest in FP1 but Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton produced the fastest lap of the day in the second session, clocking a time of one minute, 25.606 seconds ahead of the second straight race at Silverstone.
The big story of the day, though, was the FIA docking Racing Point 15 points and handing them a €400,000 fine after it was deemed their rear brake ducts were designed by Mercedes, breaching the sporting regulations.
Racing Point boss Otmar Szafnauer claimed the sanction was "unfair" and that the team were considering an appeal, although they will continue to use the same parts.
A number of other teams are also thinking of challenging the severity of the punishment - though because they feel it too lenient - with the issue arising following a protest by Renault at the Styrian Grand Prix.
Renault team principal Cyril Abiteboul was pleased action had been taken but suggested the outcome was not satisfactory.
"I think that the question of sanction is open for debate. We will consider that matter bearing in mind that the advantage that was obviously obtained will keep on going for all the season and it's a very material advantage," said Abiteboul.
Williams chief Claire Williams and Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said they would study the 14-page decision before deciding whether to make an appeal.
McLaren boss Zak Brown was heavily critical and is concerned it is just "the tip of the iceberg" in terms of the similarities between the RP20 and Mercedes' title-winning car from 2019.
"My initial reactions are Racing Point has been found guilty. I am concerned they still have those [brake ducts] that were deemed illegal in Austria, on the race car now. I think that is confusing for the fans," said Brown.
"Regarding copying, obviously they claimed that they had copied the car via photography - it's clear from reading the document that that's BS. And, therefore, you have to question anything else around that car.
"So I think this is potentially the tip of the iceberg, the starting point of looking at what's happened here because I don't think it's healthy for the sport. It's thrown up a lot more questions than answers.
"It's something we too are going to review quickly and understand the appeal process and whether that's something that we want to potentially participate in."
The FIA announced its intention to amend the 2021 regulations to avoid further cases of copying or cloning another vehicle.
After the governing body's investigation found that Mercedes had supplied a complete set of W10 brake ducts to Racing Point six days after they became a 'listed part' in January, Toto Wolff insisted the reigning constructors' champions had done nothing wrong.
Wolff said: "We feel 100 per cent comfortable with our position. We have read the rules over and over again. The verdict that came out today is extremely complicated and comes up with an interpretation that is new to all of us.
"We have provided certain data in 2019 which was totally within the rules. The 6th of January [part of the FIA's decision] has no material effect on any of the actions, because the whole thing was delivered much earlier, and all the CAD drawings and designs were delivered much earlier. Racing Point and ourselves [collaborated] and that was in the regulations.
"At the end, to be honest, there is zero worry on our side – and when I say zero, I mean zero – that we were in any breach, nor do I think Racing Point was in any breach.
"And I believe that if that was called to the ICA [International Court of Appeal], it would be probably a complex matter because it was very technical, but I doubt there would be any outcome."