KOTA KINABALU: The return date for two Malaysian sailors who were rescued by Philippines forces from Abu Sayyaf militants and transported to Sulu yesterday has yet to be determined, but Malaysian police are engaging with their counterparts on developments there.
Tayudin Anjut, 45, and Abdul Rahim Summas, 62, were reportedly brought to Sulu military station hospital for treatment after they were freed, and Philippine authorities are also conducting interviews with them.
When contacted for an update, Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Ramli Din said: “Our headquarters in Bukit Aman is in contact with its Philippines counterpart. For now, the date for the two Malaysians to return home here has not been set.
“As for the remaining three kidnapped Malaysians, efforts to rescue them continue,” he said.
In a statement yesterday, Western Mindanao Command commander Major General Carlito Galvez Jr said their troops are continuing pursuit of kidnap-for-ransom groups to rescue remaining victims, and maintain pressure on the Abu Sayyaf to release their hostages, and possibly for them to surrender to authorities.
The three Malaysians still held hostage by the terrorist group are Fandy Bakran (26), Mohd Jumadil Rahim (23) and Mohd Ridzuan Ismail (32).
The three were reported missing, along with Tayudin and Abdul Rahim, on July 18 last year after their vessel – the tugboat Serudong 3 – was found abandoned at Dent Haven off Lahad Datu waters, where they were reported to have boarded the vessel the day before in Sandakan and were headed towards Semporna.