KOTA MARUDU: An allocation of RM740,000 has been approved to rebuild the iconic ‘kedai kacang’ (peanut stalls) that went to ashes in Kampung Tonsom, Langkon, here, mid last month.
Energy, Green Technology and Water Minister Datuk Seri Dr Maximus Ongkili said the allocation was approved by the Prime Minister’s Office to reconstruct the stalls, which had been the livelihood of some 21 affected families.
“I have brought the design for the new stalls, as well as the budget, to the attention of Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, who is also the National Disaster Council Chairman last Wednesday.
“The Prime Minister’s Office gave the green light recently and the project is expected to begin next month under the council’s supervision,” said Ongkili who is also Kota Marudu Member of Parliament, today.
Ongkili said this after visiting 23 families in Kampung Nangaran, Kudat, whose longhouse were destroyed in a fire on March 1, which claimed one life.
At the event, Ongkili also presented cash assistance and rice to the affected victims. --BERNAMA