KOTA KINABALU, March 31 ― Police here shot dead one robbery suspect in a shootout last night and are looking for at least two more suspects to assist in investigations, said Sabah police commissioner Datuk Ramli Din.
The dead victim, a 37 year old local Chinese man had been tracked down by police since March 17, when a home break-in and robbery was reported in Keningau.
“A team of policemen were about to raid a home in Taman Seri Gayang in Tuaran looking for him and was met with bullet shots. Police fired back in an ensuing shootout and later found him dead,” he said in a Press conference here today.
Police also found and confiscated a Colt.45 pistol, housebreaking tools, two machetes, a knife, axe and some 3.7kg worth of syabu worth RM300,000.
The suspect was suspected to be part of a gang of four Chinese men who had robbed a house in Keningau, tying up their house maid and got away with RM590,000 worth of cash and jewelry.
Upon further investigation, he was found with several past criminal records of breaking and entering and robbery.
“We are still investigating other aspects of the case. As far as we know he has been active since 2015 at least,” he said.
Police are still looking for two identified people – 38 year old Hiew Yun Fong from Lahad Datu and another named “Kevin” from Tawau to assist in this case. One more suspect has yet to be identified.
“This group’s modus operandi is to identify wealthy residences and wait for the house to be empty or at least with just the maid at home. They will then pretend to be handy men and ask to be let in or force their way in,” said Ramli.
Meanwhile, Ramli also said that the crime index in the State has increased by 12 per cent from 1,336 to 1,496 cases in the first three months of the year. He said that the crime solving rate however has increase by seven per cent from 54 per cent to 61 per cent.
“Most of the crimes are stolen property, with an increase of 121 incidents. Violent crimes however, has seen a decrease,” he said.