UPDATE: The police have issued a media release on the preliminary investigations into the incident
A 41-year-old Singaporean man has been arrested for making a false bomb threat while aboard a Scoot flight out of Singapore on Thursday (5 April).
The man’s actions had led to the aircraft, which was carrying 173 passengers and six crew members, being turned back to Singapore. Two Republic of Singapore F-15SG fighter jets were also scrambled to escort the aircraft during the incident.
According to Facebook posts by the police, the man in question and his two other travel companions had been taken off the flight to assist with investigations. Following checks on the trio’s baggage as well as the aircraft, the police said that no credible threat was found.
A separate police media release said preliminary investigations indicated that the suspect had claimed he had a bomb in his hand-carry baggage to a crew member.
The suspect was arrested under Regulation 8(1) of the United Nations (Anti-Terrorism Measures). Any person found guilty under the section faces a maximum fine of $500,000 or a jail term of up to 10 years or both.
Flight TR634 was scheduled to leave for Hat Yai, Thailand, at 1.20pm but was escorted back to Singapore by the RSAF and safely landed at 3.23pm, said Scoot in a reply to media queries.
The airline added that all aboard the aircraft were safe, including the six crew members, and that the flight had been retimed to depart at 6.30pm.
Separately, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen congratulated the RSAF for their actions in scrambling the fighter jets to escort the Scoot flight.
“(For) our RSAF pilots who are on stand-by duties 24/7, every threat is considered real until proven otherwise. They keep us and our skies safe,” said Ng.
Other Singapore stories: