Sean Connery, 89, rode out Hurricane Dorian in his Bahamas home: 'We were lucky compared to many others'

Suzy Byrne
Editor, Yahoo Entertainment

Sean Connery calls himself “lucky” to have survived Hurricane Dorian as it raged through the Bahamas, where the 89-year-old James Bond actor lives.

In an interview from his home there, he told the Scottish Daily Mail that he and his wife, artist Micheline Roquebrune Connery, were “both fine” and thanked people “for their concern.”

“We were lucky compared to many others,” said Connery, whose home is in the gated community of Lyford Cay on New Providence Island, which is about 95 miles from Great Abaco, which saw the greatest destruction. “The damage here was not great.”

Sean Connery said he's "lucky" to have made it through Hurricane Dorian. (Photo: Reuters)

He continued, “We had been prepared for the storm, everything was ready in advance — we weren’t taking any chances and knew what to do. It comes with living here, I suppose.”

At least 30 people have died in the Bahamas during the hurricane, but officials think the death toll could increase significantly as the cleanup continues.

"Literally hundreds, up to thousands, of people are still missing,"Joy Jibrilu, director general of the country's tourism and aviation ministry said Friday.

Connery — who celebrated his birthday on Aug. 25, just before the storm hit — moved to the Bahamas in the 1990s. In a 2003 interview, the Scottish born star said the island had “home” to him. He said he enjoyed the anonymity of his life there, saying, “I don't have a problem when I go out now. I walk everywhere, I don't have a bodyguard, don't have a minder.” He said it was perfect for his personality. “I'm very much a loner” and “not a group guy.”

Read more from Yahoo Entertainment:

Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle’s newsletter.