Senior citizen dies after house caught fire while burning rubbish

IZLAILY NURUL AIN HUSSEIN

JOHOR BAHRU: A 55-year-old woman died of suspected smoke inhalation in a fire that destroyed her house in Kampung Sungai Perling 4, Taman Perling, here this morning.

In the 9.45am incident, Selamah Suleiman was believed to have been burning rubbish at the back of the house when the fire caught on to an old mattress.

Johor Baru North police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Taib Ahmad said the victim was believed to have inhaled smoke and passed out in the kitchen area before dying.

“At the time of the incident, there were three people in the house, the victim, her 14-year-old son and her nephew. The nephew was awakened by the smell of smoke and found that the room was filled with smoke.

He got out of the room and saw that thick smoke was coming from the kitchen.

“He then heard an explosion at the back of the house and when he rushed to the kitchen, he found the victim unconscious on the floor,” said Taib.

He said the nephew and the victim’s son tried to put out the fire after calling the Fire and Rescue Department.

The victim was moved out of the kitchen with the help of neighbours.

“The firemen arrived about 10.45 am and managed to put out the fire. An ambulance from the Sultanah Aminah Hospital which arrived at the scene pronounced the victim dead,” said Taib.

Johor Baru fire station chief Suhaimi Jamal said firemen rushed to the scene after receiving an emergency call at 10.30am.

He said the victim suffered burns to 30 per cent of her body.

The operation ended at 12.47 pm.


A 55-year-old woman died of suspected smoke inhalation in a fire that destroyed her house in Kampung Sungai Perling 4, Taman Perling, here this morning. (Pic courtesy from Fire and Rescue Department)

© New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd